OT: The Geek Test

Brad Hitch wrote:

One point for knowing synthetic programming. One point for knowing how to make the 'byte grabber' One point for knowing what the "PPC Journal" was. One point for being published in it.
David Erbas-White
Brad Hitch wrote:

An additional point for a Christmas Light Strand Shortening program.
--
Gary Bolles
NAR 82636

No.

I've got a circular that comes with its own pocket protector.
I've also got a 22? scale Pickett. And at least 1, maybe 2 more. I'll plead ignorance on who K&E is for th emoment, but it will probably come back to me when someone else identifies it.

I think anything of that vintage had less than 1MB capacity.

Why I said BAORD and not TOOL...

Been there done that.

Was there a 4040? I remember the 4004.

Actually, of the entire PDP family, only the PDP-11 had a power-of-2 bits.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

There was a 4040 - same basic thing, with some improvements. (I designed a system that used them, back in 1977...)
-dave w

You're old :)
I had a circular slide rule, that spiraled in so it was equivalent to a sliderule that was 24" long! Great precision, that one.
well, here's a few
remembering the bias voltage on a the Triode and Pentode vacumn tubes ever programmed by plugging in patch cords knowing what the acronym ENIAC stands for ever played a Theremin ever built a Jacobs Ladder knowing what a Telsa coil is good for having built (or dreamed about building) a HeathKit Ham radio knowing the difference between a VCO and a VCA having played moon lander on a PDP-11 remembering ARCNET remembering Novell before NLMs were invented knowing how to terminate an coaxial ethernet segment knowing how to program assembler for the Z80 microprocessor knowing the capacity of a single-sided single-density 5-1/4" diskettes in a KayPro running CPM knowing how to program in BASIC on a TRS Model II (w/ TRSDOS)
ah, these bring me back!
- iz
Bob Kaplow wrote:

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:32:41 GMT, Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed
Defending your base in Red Alert.

I can see my copy of "Programming the Z80" by Rodney Zaks on my shelf.

I only go back as far as single sided double density - 180K.
But you try telling that to kids today - they won't believe you.
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:44:42 +0000, Darren J Longhorn

That's about the capacity of the 8" diskettes I used at one time... :-)
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.rogers.com (Len Lekx) wrote:

I used more than you did!
anyone remember floppirs with hard format holes?
- iz
Len Lekx wrote:

I think I had both kinds at one point or another.

Yes.. "Hard sector" diskettes, I used them on my H-89. 11 holes, IIRC, with 10 evenly spaced, and one between two others as an index... I remember when I got the H-89, friends would ask "why would anybody ever want a computer at home?" :)
Ya ever know anyone who could "read" paper tape? I did... It was something to see!

The first device driver I ever wrote was for a paper tape reader.
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote:

Yep. Put some tape over them and use them in your Trash 80 model 1.
--
Rocky Firth
Remove the nospam to reply

Didn't they all have a key hole for the first sector.
I remember RK05 disk platters with a timing ring that marked the start of each sector. 12 16 bit block sectors for the PDP-11, 16 12 bit block sectors for the PDP-8.

Hey... I have several books along those lines. Inherited them from the previous occupant of my office. I thought they were too kewl to throw away.

It's a great book. Even if it's the first micro you ever programmed in assembler.
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote:

Yes
Yes
Yes
no
Yes (shocking)

Yes (kicked out of class)

no, built from scratch

no
no
yes
yes - and the pain of Netware 2

yes
yes, just donated the books this past summer

yes - 180KB

Yes heavier than the battery in my truck

Yes, wrote a couple of games

yes
yes
yes
no
no
yes
yes, Imsai(SP?) 4004 and 8008

yes
yes 14"

no
yes, TRS-80 Model II

yes, for Fortran and Cobol

yes
yes, guidance computer program load

yes, TRS-80 Model I

no, 18 yes

no
no
yes
yes, still have a wrist watch

still have the tool

- yes, 1966

Rocky "afraid to add up the score" Firth
--
Rocky Firth
Remove the nospam to reply

I loved Heathkits, just retired my AP-1800 and AA-1800 last year.
Anyone need a full set of manuals for the Heathkit H11?
Tom