OT: The Geek Test

Yes.. "Hard sector" diskettes, I used them on my H-89. 11 holes, IIRC, with

10 evenly spaced, and one between two others as an index... I remember when I got the H-89, friends would ask "why would anybody ever want a computer at home?" :)

Ya ever know anyone who could "read" paper tape? I did... It was something to see!

Reply to
AZ Woody

I loved Heathkits, just retired my AP-1800 and AA-1800 last year.

Anyone need a full set of manuals for the Heathkit H11?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

Yep. Put some tape over them and use them in your Trash 80 model 1.

Reply to
Rocky Firth

The first device driver I ever wrote was for a paper tape reader.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Some things I've recently been accused of being a geek over:

Know the names of >5 chess openings.

Boot a computer from front panel address/data/control buttons.

Know what "heavy water" is.

Know what the symbol on a RADHAZ sign represents.

Know the Big Dipper is not a constellation.

Know it's real nomenclature.

Know >10 famous astronomers.

Know what they are famous for?

Know the difference between a Florence and an Erlenmeyer.

Know what Einstein REALLY received the Nobel Prize for.

Know James T. Kirk's full middle name.

Telling math jokes. (A good test of REAL geekiness)

"What do you get when you cross a mountain climber and a chicken?" "You can't cross them, one is a scalar."

It's a heavy burden. If you got the math joke, add 1% to your geek score. If you think its funny, add 5%.

Reply to
Gary

I scored 59.17%. I guess I am, indeed, a geek.

Reply to
The Other James

(snip)

You forgot to add...

Still have >one 5 1/4" floppy and use it daily. Still have >500 5 1/4" floppy media.

Reply to
The Other James

Heck, I *bought* paper tape with graticules the other day at a surplus store, just because I thought I might someday use it to build a chart recorder. :-)

Reply to
The Other James

Think think think... Pentode bias is 500V?

Got the scars to prove it.

I know what the acronyms stand for. I think I could work out their meanings if I were more awake.

I think playing Moon Lander more than twice qualifies you, period. But working our the proper thrust curves and fuel consumption on a real simulator should give you double points!

Are these 50 ohm or 75 ohm? BNC?

Been there, done that.

I believe most of these just qualify you for Old Fart Status.

Reply to
The Other James

Hey... I have several books along those lines. Inherited them from the previous occupant of my office. I thought they were too kewl to throw away.

Reply to
The Other James

Just knowing the source of this quote qualifies you for bonus points. Actually putting it into your .sig scores quadruple.

Reply to
The Other James

Except for the telescope and the Nixie tubes, this looks like my lab at work. I saw a catalog the other day that had a brand new Nixie tube 24 hour clock in it. I wonder where the heck they are getting the tubes from? Russia? Or maybe just a really big surplus store?

Reply to
The Other James

Check. Add more points if you know reactions to use it in.

Check. But, that is just because I'm on my company's Safety Committee. Wait a minuite... I *am* the Safety Committee. Add more points if you have ever worn a Bell Telephone hardhat on a passenger aircraft with more than 200 people aboard.

Check.

Check.

Does Tim Hamner count?

Ahh, but do you remember the Fleaker?

I named my cat after what the T. stands for.

Why was 6 mad at 7? Because 7 ate 9. (Trust me, tell it to a room of

12-year-olds sometime.)

Checkeroonie.

Reply to
The Other James

Missed it by *that much*.

Reply to
The Other James

concluded."

Actually putting it

Do I get any bonus points for having lunch with Gary Lockwood?

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

You would be amazed at what's packed away in warehouses left over from the 70's, 60's, even the 50's and beyond. Government and otherwise.

You could probably build your own ENIAC.

(plus, I've heard there ARE still factories that produce that sort of stuff, in Russia and China too).

Reply to
BB

I was foreced to add 5% and I am NOT happy about it!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

These days you get points for even knowing what a Bell Telephone is!

You guys should really do more drugs!

:)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How about...

"Why can't Superman leap tall buildings with a single bound?"

"Because they're infinitely tall!"

- Robert Galejs (just over 30%)

Reply to
Robert Galejs

Jerry Irvine wrote: ...

any points for having some in a box in the garage? give me three points. how about double points for having them on your POTS line?

does Ibuprofen count? :(

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner