[OT] The PoliceState has officially arrived

I just wanted to relate to people her on RMR something that happened to me last week.

I was woken up around 8:30AM last Tuesday morning by a neighbor, informing me that somebody had broken into my truck and stole my stereo system.

Well obviously this bummed me out completely, so I called our local police department and asked them to send an officer over to make a police report.

So to make a long story short, the police officer arrives and starts asking me questions like my name, etc etc...then he started asking questions like What do I do for a living? where do I work? and other pieces of information that struck me as being personal information that had absolutely nothing to do with this crime scene... So I interrupted the officer, and asked him why he needed some of this information that he was asking for and what did it have to do with filing a crime report. He informed me that this information was part of something called a Uniform Crime Report and all the questions were required to be answered before the report could be filed. SO I responded again asking him what this personal information had to do with the crime report. And he gave me this look ......and then he said, "Sir, unless I fill in all the blanks on this UCR I will not be able to take a crime report." And I said, "Sir, yes I understand, but I still do not feel it appropriate to provide you with what I consider personal information." And then I added, " I do not want to provide you with personal information that is going into a nationwide law enforcement system, for anybody to see and use as they see fit and if he could point out what state or federal law that says I have to provide you with this information before a police report will be taken ".... With that he informed me that I had an "attitude problem" and since I refused to comply by providing the required information, he would not be taking any crime report from me and he promptly left.......

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

SImple. Contact the Police Chief or local politico over the police dept. & explain it to them. Local politicians seem pretty responsive around election time.

Reply to
Phil Stein

The following offenses are reported under the UCR:

The selected offenses are 1) Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter, 2) Forcible Rape, 3) Robbery, 4) Aggravated Assault, 5) Burglary, 6) Larceny-Theft, 7) Motor Vehicle Theft, and 8) Arson. These are serious crimes by nature and/or volume. Not all crimes, such as Embezzlement, are readily brought to the attention of the police. Also, some serious crimes, such as Kidnapping, occur infrequently. Therefore, for practical purposes, the reporting of offenses known is limited to the selected crime classifications because they are the crimes most likely to be reported and most likely to occur with sufficient frequency to provide an adequate basis for comparison.

The crime you were a victim of was on the list which is probably why you were asked the more detailed questions. The information is used to determine crime patterns and now to determine the makeup of victims to help law enforcement plan to fight crime. The system is completely voluntary so I don't know why it was handled the way it was. I would have asked for his supervisor to make the scene to see what his explanation would have been.

Go to the website:

Pull up one of the year reports and you will see that the type of work and location of your work are not reported. He was probably making small talk and didn't like your response which would have made the supervisor coming out even more fun. Never be afraid to ask for the next guy up the line.

information

information

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Please keep us updated on how this turns out.

Reply to
bit eimer

And see if your local tv and radio stations will listen.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I do understand your feelings on this shockie. the victim becomes yet another victim.

However, they already have all your personal information available to them if they really want it, if you file income tax, or work at a place of business that withholds your income. You are already coded with where you work and what you do, county, state & fed level.

Reply to
almax

File an internal investigative complaint.

Ask a copy of THAT report be reported to the UCR system.

Seriously.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not in this case. It was "mandated" which is yet another violation of law that should be reported to the internal investigation squad.

Or the FBI.

Or the state police.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That would do it.

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Take your "attitude problem" to his superior, the police chief, mayor, state representatives, and the most obnoxious TV news reporter in your area.

Bob Kaplow

When a government employee asks my occupation, I respond "taxpayer".

Bob Kaplow

Police Departments won't get the federal Good-Cop donut subsidy if they can't demonstrate their "tough on crime" and doing their jobs well.

In other words, they don't want citizens filling police reports, making them look bad by letting criminals run around, making them leave the Dunkin Donuts to hunt them down, and losing the Federal Good Cop Donut Subsidy.

So they ask lots of questions crime victims, especially questions that

2nd class illegal immigrant slaves the crooks love to pick on will be reluctant to answer.

It should be called a crime-report victim deterent form. Even if you fill all the forms out, you might find your crime still hasn't been reported.

Reply to
Scott Stephens

I had my DV video cameras stolen (and lots of rocket video footage) in my apaatment in the fall of 2003 but the Quincy PD (MA) but never asked me those types of questions. They just asked me questions regarding the theft and wrote down a report and then were done with it. Certainly never mentioned UCR.

THX, John

"The Tetrahedron is Coming"

Reply to
John Ritz

Did the PD make an effort to solve the crime and/or recover the stolen material, or did they just casually take the report so that you can collect on your insurance?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Heh, heh. Reminds me of the last time I had my car stereo stolen. The town clown asked me if I knew who'd done it - TOLD me (since I didn't) the police report was just for my insurance.

That was a while ago, though - asked me only a few casual questions and didn't write all of the answers down.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert