Re: Aerotech RMS grease?

A synthetic grease with Teflon is better. Doesn't carbonize at high temps. Radio shack sells 2 oz tubes. Permatex super lube is good too . About 6$ for a 14.5 oz cartridge. Non-toxic FDA approved. great for o-rings. Gary Deaver

OK, I got a deal on RMS cases and reloads languishing on the shelf at a > local hobby shop. so now the crayon rocket has power and we're dreaming > up some other projects to fit the motors ... > > > here goes the first in what I am sure will be many stupid questions: > > > is white lithium grease OK to use on the motor casing threads? > > > > ... thanks rmr for the cleaning-rms-casings posts. I use a lot of > vinegar on other stuff and it works great and doesn't tear up your hands > or get in your blood like acetone etc. > > Cliff >
Reply to
Deaver

I prefer to use Cow Corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant. Get it at auto parts stores or tractor supply stores. I use it on O-rings and on the liners for fuel grains. Makes removing the liners so easy.

James Dean Cory, D.C. NAR 75296 L2 snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
James Dean Cory, D.C.

Oh great, now someone will mention using Chicken Corning products.....!!!

-Shread Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I think part of the difficulty when it comes to cleaning is that you're cleaning dirty grease that's repels most liquid solutions.

FWIW, after reading from Gary Rosenfield on this newsgroup to go light on the grease, I've quit using grease for the past couple of years on my RMS reloads all the way up to an I211, rather simply make sure my o-rings are clean. No problems to date (I'm guessing in over a hundred reload flights) and alot easier cleanup.

YMMV, Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Too late, Cliff, there IS acetone in your blood ...naturally. Have you ever had your Ketone Level checked? Acetone is one of the major ketones in your blood. I'd stay away from lithium greases on aluminum casings exposed to high heat.

Mark Simpson

I use a Permatex product that is a silicone grease used for waterproofing HV components in vehicle ignition systems. Permatex dielectric tuneup grease. I think it's about CDN$8.00 for 100gram tube. Lasts forever, and then some.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Just about anything slippery is OK until you start dealing with hybrids and have to worry about oxidizers. Vasoline, auto grease, KY, even butter probably will work. Except for the casing/liner space where I slobber grease to make clean-up easier (maybe we need teflon coated casings) you only want enough grease to make things slide easilly. ESPECIALLY around the ejection well, where too much grease can plug the hole, prevent ejection, and result in a lawn dart.

Bob Kaplow

laundry good, lawn dart bad... I will try to remember that!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

It is mainly about Tripoli sticking its nose where it does not belong to generate the false impression it is "saving you".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine