Ronald Reagan-the greatest President of the 20th Century!

For the first time in the history of the world, one superpower defeated its rival without going to war! The Communist ideology was swept into the dustbin of history after being completely discredited as a method of governing. All of the countries of Eastern Europe were freed as Russian troops were pulled out, rather hastily in some cases. Communist Russian activities supporting so-called wars of liberation ceased and the world became a much freer and better place due to Ronald Reagan.

Also, please remember what the income tax rates (top rate of 70%) and the interest rates (22%) were when he came into office. If we had these interest rates today, millions of people wouldn't be able to own their own homes and tens of thousands of businesses wouldn't exsist.

Regarding Star Wars, there was never a doubt in the Russians minds that we could do it. ABM sites in Alaska and Japan will be operational at the end of this year-then watch the pressure on NK rachet up fast! Oh yes, any of you who have had any of the laser eye surgery can thank Ronny for that (Star Wars).

Great guy and the greatest President of the 20th Century!

Reply to
KLawr63125

"KLawr63125" wrote

I'll bet you would have second thoughts if Smarty Jones had been elected president, or if Ronald Reagan had been born a horse.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Well, he was a horse's ass.....Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

He may well have been the greatest President since Lincoln.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Tell it to eastern Europe.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Let me guess, early 80s air traffic controller?

WmB

WmB

Ken

While I can agree with some of what you say I have to yell "Hold It" on this one:

Not to war with the USSR directly in a declared war, but I think that Korea, Viet Nam and scores of other military actions using both American troops and surrogate nations were pretty deadly.

That would be like saying that Germany and the USSR never fought each other until Barbarossa. Spain was the testing ground for both sides.

How many American aircraft were shot down in Korea by Korean pilots? Those hot jocks were Russians, now freely admited by both sides.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Reply to
Grandpa

Al,

Why do you bother with the rav>

Reply to
Ron

Believe it or not, Kim is a real-life friend. There's more to friendship than mere politics.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Wow! I consider both of you long time friends.

Small internet. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Small world, Tom. ;)

There's a difference between disagreeing and being disagreeable. I can work with the former, but not the latter.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Ron" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com...

That's political tactics Ron. It is much used practice in politics to have a "opposition" tied to your leash, to disagree with when the issues aren't serious. But as soon as the situation gets critical this "opposition" will take your side to make real opposition look unreasonable and disagreeable. A kind of "blacksploitation" if you like.

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

But remember....Teddy Roosevelt was up there also!

Reply to
Greg Heilers

And you, sir, are the horse's shit; a most unpleasant man.

When you finally figure out how to unlock and retract your head from your ass, perhaps I will consider (perhaps) taking what you post with a a grain of seriousness. Until then, my opinion of you stands; you are one each, bonified, certified, walkin', talkin', rectum. Enjoy the rest of D-Day.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

That may all be true, Tom, but neither the Korean War nor the Vietnam War happened on Reagan's watch. When he became President, he turned the gebberish of the Carter Administration around and took the Cold War right to the enemy and defeated them without firing a shot (and, no, I'm sorry, you can not, in any way, equate the Beirut bombing to Soviet involvment).

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I think of Teddy Roosevelt every time I visit a National Park. I just hope that the National Park System continues the way it was designed instead of giving it to Big Business. One of our local State Parks now has gas wells drilled in it. Noise (from drilling), smell and the access roads are an eyesore. The local lumber industry was drooling over a stand of 70-year-old Cherry trees that was discovered there as well. A few of us knew about those trees (I used to harvest the cherries every year with my folks when I was a kid), but we kept it quiet until they became threatened. Fortunately a public referendum stopped the lumber industry in their tracks.

The Old Timer

Yes. It's like those guys who got drafted in 1945, got through basic training just in time for VJ Day and got to kiss the girls in the streets at home while the men who'd done the real fighting were still out in the Pacific or lying in a hospital. Wasn't their watch, I guess. The Cold War was won by men in Korea, Viet Nam, Malaya and elsewhere, a real and dirty war that started in 1946 and ended in 1991. Reagan showed up in time for the photo ops. Since the Taliban and Bin Laden were armed on his watch, I guess we can only be so grateful.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

I think the credit given to Reagan in regards to the Cold War is that he put down the carrot (Detente) and picked up the whip. That change up is credited with accelerating the defeat of communism from its position as the world's number one menace.

In your zeal to dismiss Reagan's contributions to the West's Cold War victory, you left out the most critical theater in the Cold War: Afghanistan. The Soviet Vietnam. Reagan's aid and support for the Mujahadeen was critical in the Soviet defeat and that defeat was a leading factor in the Soviet demise.

You can extrapolate Bin Laden and the Taliban from the Afghan War if you choose. The facts are those criminals are not representative of the Afghan people, as the results of the US-Taliban war and present conditions in Afghanistan today clearly suggest. As for Bin Laden and the Al Qaeda, their formation was inevitable. The dire warnings of rising fundamentalist Islamic violence predates Reagan by decades. If Bin Laden hadn't fermented in the manner in which he did, he would have come to the world by another route.

As for Reagan, he is spin-proof. He is respected today because he was respected while he served the presidency. And he was respected then because anyone that had lived thru Watergate and Jimmy Carter knew the high caliber of leadership and inspiration that Ronald Reagan restored to the US.

Much to the chagrin of the enemies of the US abroad and the blame America first brigade at home.

WmB

WmB

Ironically, the ability to separate politics from relationships and the ability to retain a tone of cordiality and civility were traits lauded by friend and foe alike yesterday in speaking of their remembrances of Ronald Reagan.

WmB

WmB