Any suggestions on how to form an organic blob?

Any suggestions on how to form an organic blob?

I can't seem to get any spline profiles to sweep, using another spline as the path.

Certainly I could use revolve and get a spline to form a 'balanced' egg shape, but what if I want the "equator" to be a spline as well, and not a circle?

Thanks.

Reply to
thisandthat

click on the following to download an example:

Regards

Mark Biasotti SolidWorks Corporation

Reply to
mbiasotti

Mark,... you guys really should test you software before you release it!??

Here is a capture of the problem...

Spline fails to retain it's properties just by clicking on it....?

And, the resulting Sweep does NOT fail (IT SHOULD), until you edit it??!?!?!?

VERY POOR PROGRAMMING!!!

Way to go!!?!?!?!?!?

..

example:

zxys

Er, is that available in SW2007?

Reply to
akhorse7

I understand it looks like a bug, but it isn't. It is my carelessness.

After I created the initial "guides horizontal" sketch, I created a derive of it to make the "guides vertical derived" sketch. After I created both of them, I decided to use the "split enitity" function on the splines at the "poles" of the original sketch but did not reapply a horizontal contraint on the vector handle. If you go back to the "guides horizontal" sketch you see that the vector handles on "one half" of the spline that I split are uncontrained. All you (I need) to do is apply a horizontal relationships and all is well... I think. Yes, I haven't tested this part, but is should show that you can make the egg shape asymmetrical and have the body regenerate. The four ellipse profile is a bit dubious - would/should replace it with splines instead.

What is interesting (and I will file an SPR on this) is that you're free to drag the vector/magnitude handles in the derived sketch, but once you rebuild (exit) the sketch they update correctly to the base sketch.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Sadly,.. I don't see that it is your problem, the derived sketch should not loose it's settings just by selecting it (it has to have settings to have that shape???) and the sweep should not have resolved but it did!? Now, although I can see this happening to parent sketch (still, it should have have changed just by selecting), there is something internally wrong with the derive for this to happen? BTW.. after underiving,.. initially, I could not select the spline... graphically it seems lost..not there....then, after a couple of selections near/around the spline it highlights?? The spline still does not respond normally, it's jerky and sluggish (yep, at the same time??),.. strange,.. dimensions at the start/end or influence, snap horizontally (not at the point at which they are selected????) I have to reselect them to move them where I had wanted them to be?? (boy, now that's super duper productive??)....

..one step forward, two steps back.........................I don't get it.

Reply to
zxys

Ya, but can you turn it into sheet metal?

Seriously, thanks for the lesson. From a primarily sheet metal and fabricating background, these diversions into organic modeling are both informative and entertaining.

Mark, I appreciate your input into questions that come up here. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards, Diego

Reply to
Diego