Finally wrote-up my "How to Design Parts" section...

I have to agree here - unless you know your drawings will be going to a dedicated place, and you tailor them to their process, they should dimension what you want to hold.

When I started here, I was told that when you wanted to make sure the shop paid attention to a dimension on a drawing, you were supposed to put HOLD next to it. Aaaaaaaa, no. I will give you a properly dimensioned drawing with the tolerances as needed to ensure form, fit & function, but I will not dumb down the Engineering Dept because of laziness. Fortunately the Engineering Manager agrees with me.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I agree with this post. In fact, if you have a CAM capable machine shop, it's might be best to only dimension critical features and let the machine shops decide how to make the part for themselves by directly referencing the solid model; with some overal general tol for all unspecified features. The problem with drawings is that they are a translation of intent. Back in the day, this was the best method available, but nowadays, the best method is to directly reference the solid model itself since that is practically as close as one can get to the intended part (unless the CAD person doesn't know how to model their desired results). Adding any noncritical dimensions on a drawing just forces the machinist into a method that may not be necessary. What I've been doing is using the drawing to specify critical dims and provide notes, along with a note that refers the machinist to the solid model for all unspecified features.

Reply to
fcsuper

The original background color on AutoCAD was black, so white and yellow colors where used frequently cuz they showed up best.

Reply to
fcsuper

Oh my...

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale,

I don't have control over who makes the part. Could be in house or job shopped. Usually not my decision. One thing about 3D CAD is that the machine shop can be given the model and make their own working drawings is short order to minimize cost and still meet the customer's requirements.

On Joe's example part I would probably consider the centerline between the tapped holes as a datum from which the other features must be located. This would fly in the face of what Joe was trying to do, but would make the best fitting part with the loosest tolerances. Joe might want to take that drawing, put the dimensions on a layer and hide it and then redimension to make it easier for his guys to understand with the caveat that when the part is done it is checked to the original dimensioning scheme. Given the accuracy and repeatability of modern CNC this should not worry Joe in the least as far as meeting requirements.

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
TOP

I can see why you do it that way.

I should have tried to keep it short and say that if you have a good idea of what process will be used, it makes sense to tune the drawings for it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yeah, I considered some sort of black (or dark) translucent material that I could put on top of a light source (maybe one of those lighted tracing boxes) and then place the prints on top of that.. :-\

Mike

Reply to
RayDOsity
[...]

FYI; posting spam like you did in this thread and have repeatedly done in the past is a good way to get your account at NIN nuked.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Enjoyed your booklet. I'm in a sheet metal job shop and we frequently only send our own drawings to our shop for fabricating - not the customer drawings.

Try

for a free pdf creator. It works pretty good.

Diego

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Diego

Who is ranting? I'm just trying to help you out. Would hate to see you lose your posting privileges because of your spamming. alt.machines.cnc and maybe comp.cad.solidworks would collapse into steaming piles of shit without the services of your incessant, yet mindless, cross posting.

Spam Thresholds FAQ

Excessive Multi-Posting (EMP) has the same meaning as the term "spam" usually carries, but it is more accurate and self-explanatory. EMP means, essentially, "too many separate copies of a substantively identical article."

"Substantively identical" means that the material in each article is sufficiently similar to construe the same message. The signature is included in the determination. These are examples of substantively identical articles: * byte-for-byte identical messages * otherwise identical postings minimally customized for each group it appears in. * advertising the same service. * articles that consist solely of the same signature * articles which consist of inclusions of other user's postings, but are otherwise identical.

[...]

A quick count produces four substantively identical articles cross posted by you in this thread alone, all within a matter of minutes. If I had the desire, I could easily document enough spam posted by you to surpass a BI of 20 during a 45 day period, and that's more than enough evidence of spamming for any sane news admin to nuke an account.

News.Individual.NET » Rules for Usage

  • No SPAM It is inadmissible to use this server to post SPAM.
[...] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HTH HAND

Reply to
Black Dragon

Black Dragon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bdhi.local:

We could probably get a collection jar going to make it worth your while.

Reply to
Anthony

It was a pretty good thread until Cliff did his patented "moonwalk"{scratching of anal glands} on it, as usual......

Reply to
Mark Phillips

"Mark Phillips" wrote in news:lLEfg.32767$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

I have him in the bozo bin, so i never see his bullshit. Life is good...

Reply to
Anthony

Yes, me too, my life is much less stressful since I aced cliff and john!

Reply to
Keith Streich

That'd have to be a pretty BIG collection jar...

Reply to
Black Dragon

Actually, it's you who appears confused.

"neglected to crosspost"

Eh?

Are you out of your mind?

Has it ever occurred to you that some people aren't at all interested in posting anywhere else but the newsgroup they're reading?

Your attempts to rationalize and justify your actions (attributing and re-posting peoples articles without adding any original content of your own (you've been doing it for a long time)) doesn't change the fact you're spamming.

Reply to
Black Dragon

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
John R. Carroll

It's very unusual for you to run away from cross posts, what are you trying to hide from Cliff? The Newsgroup line you snecked has been restored.

No, it's not very rare, it's something you've been doing fairly consistently for a long time. And you're assuming things you shouldn't. You don't have a clue (which is typical) as to why replies aren't cross posted. Perhaps it is because of default newsreader settings and the poster didn't notice. And again, to reiterate what you conveniently snipped away, perhaps it is because people _aren't interested in cross posting_. Or maybe it's because people, including yourself, have no idea what the purpose of the "Followup-To:" header is, it may or may not help with news reader issues.

Either way, again, you have no business attributing and re-posting other peoples replies without adding any original content of your own. Doing it as often as you do is SPAMMING. And I never seen anybody thanking you for it. What I do see is more and more people smartening up and kill filing you.

Generally speaking, clearly your "services" are unwanted, so why do you keep it up? "Bait", and "fishing" are non-answers.

If you were truly interested in being helpful you would be well advised to let posters know in public, or private, that it may be a good idea to cross post their replies if it's relevant to the groups its posted in. That leaves the decision of where people are posting in their own hands instead of where you think they should be doing it.

It all boils down to choice Cliff, and you simply shouldn't be making choices for anybody but yourself.

Which is why you snecked the Newsgroups line, eh?

My services to my employer. But only for a half day today, I'm starting my weekend a bit early. Woohoo!

Your complaining about off topic posting when 75% of what you post per month in alt.machines.cnc is cross posted polarized political nonsense? LOL! Try growing a brain someday, will you?

Reply to
Black Dragon

Your net abuse, that is your constant spamming, is most certainly related to it.

What part of the following do you not understand?

FAQ: Current Usenet spam thresholds and guidelines

"Substantively identical" means that the material in each article is sufficiently similar to construe the same message. The signature is included in the determination. These are examples of substantively identical articles:

  • articles which consist of inclusions of other user's postings, but are otherwise identical. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You've posted 7 such articles in this thread alone. You've been doing the same thing across a number of newsgroups for quite some time. It's spam, plain and simple.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Good to see you finally admit you're a spammer.

Reply to
Black Dragon