Off Topic

I'm looking for a program that will search text inside of files like Google Desktop does. It needs to search for text inside of Excel and Word files located on a network drive and list all the files found with that text.

I found a list of free prgrams similar to Google Desktop but it looks as if they can only search your harddrive and not network folders. Any suggestions?

David

Reply to
ksudavid

Copernic destop search does it.

HIH JM

"ksudavid" a écrit dans le message de news:

442bf0a9$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.ugs.com...
Reply to
Jean Marc

Uh! If you have Windows, how about the Windows search utility. It does exactly what you want already.

Can't remember about other versions of Windows, but in Windows XP, do the following:

  1. Go Start>Search
  2. Select "Documents"
  3. Click "Use advanced search options"
  4. Type in your word or phrase under "A word or phrase in the document"
  5. Under "Look in", browse to the folder that you want. It will do network folders as well.
  6. You can select "More advanced options" if you need them. Otherwise click "Search"
Reply to
Seth Renigar

Seth,

I was not aware you could do that. So if I'm always going to search inside the same folder on my network, is it possible to set up a search on my desktop that prompts me for the search string then searches that same folder every time.

David

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:X0SWf.91184$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
ksudavid

the problem you'll quickly run into is that the standard windows search is dog slow-- searching a good size drive can take 5 minutes or more. This is because (unlike google desktop) it does not index the drive in advance

Reply to
Michael

Now that is a different story...

However, there is a fairly simple way to expedite the procedure each time.

  1. Put a shortcut to that folder on the desktop.
  2. Open up the folder using this shortcut at any time.
  3. In the Standard Buttons toolbar, click the Search button.
  4. Go thru the rest of the prompts just as before

This search will only search the folder you are searching from. Basically, this just eliminates having to browse to the folder each time.

There is also something else that may help, if you can figure out how it works (I can't). After you do your search, in the search results window, go File>Save Search. You can save this search as a "Saved Search File", whatever that is. You might try playing with this to figure out if it will help you. If you do get it figured out, let us know...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

First, he is only wanting to search folders, not entire drives. This shouldn't be a big wait unless most of the drive data is within this folder.

Second, you can turn on the indexing service if you want to:

In the initial search companion window, click "change preferences". Then click "with indexing service" and follow the prompts.

The only problem here is it does not index network drives, only local drives. Does google desktop index network drives? This would impress me if it does.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" a écrit dans le message de news: BFSWf.71304$% snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Copernic destop search does it. And it's free. I have set it to search "images as *.sldprt", and "videos as *.sldasm ans

*.slddrw" And across all our SW stations , and the Bib. In specific folders.

HIH JM

Reply to
Jean Marc

I downloaded Copernic and Blinx but haven't installed them yet.

David

Reply to
ksudavid

Sounds cool! I'll have to look into this as well.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Hello Seth-

I save my Search criteria all the same. It seems like the Search is faster once you've saved it. I save them to my desktop. One of my favorites is Search for all .pdf files.

I also Save my Search criteria when using SolidWorks Explorer.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:5xSWf.71303$% snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

But what do you do with the saved search file?!?!

I did a search and saved it to my desktop as well. I then closed the search window. When I double click on the saved search file on the desktop, it asks me what do I want to use to open it with. Its like Windows doesn't have an association with these file types. What do I do with them? I would like to utilize them as well, if I only knew how.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Hmmm, interesting. I don't have that problem. I double click my saved search and it repeats the search, like I said ususally very qucikly, even if new files have been added.

Devon

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:UMXWf.55761$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Mine keeps defaulting to my hard drive even though the last search saved was to a network drive

Reply to
ksudavid

I use Microsofts Desktop Search for instant results. Are you sure that google won't search network drives? Google was my first choice but I could not get it to install. With the Microsoft tool, the install defaults to your desktop only but you can configure it to search through any network folder for it to index. It works so well I installed it on co-workers machines and they also love it. What surprised me was that it can find a keyword within a pdf (requires the pdf add-in). It's very handy when I get a phone call about a particular SolidWorks file, I don't need to navigate to any particular folder/subfolder. Just start typing in the file name all possible candidates appear on a list. The more you type the narrower the list becomes. Best of all, it's all free.

Reply to
rmontminy

There was a review of various desktop search programs in this month's PC Pro magazine, and they found that the Yahoo one was the best overall, though others had certain features that might suit best in some circumstances.

Regards, John Harland

Reply to
John H