OT - Anyone play with Sketchup

Hello,

I downloaded the free version of sketchup the other day from google earth website. Within 5 minutes my son and his friend were sketching up "kool" spaceships and such. I must admit for the 15 minutes I've played with it is a pretty powerful tool. Has anyone else played with it? What are your opinions? Can SW import the file or are we talking apples and organges? Just curious.

Len

Reply to
lmar

I was tasked by our Church Administrator to do some layouts of our proposed church re-model job. I thought SketchUp might be just the ticket.

The biggest problem I've been having - and it may just be my inability to shift my pea-brain out of my SolidWorks methods - is the ability to draw "accurately." SketchUp, I think, is a very good tool for concept, but I've got to get our existing church building into the model before I can start adding revisions, and I'm having difficulty making sure a wall is exactly "X" long, and that it stays "X" while I'm pushing and dragging....again - maybe my own limitations.

And I spent a good deal of time trying to get SketchUp SolidWorks AutoCad. I have not found any methos yet. I was able to import an AutoCad 2D floorplan with no problem.

Steve R.

snipped-for-privacy@edatasoluti> Hello,

Reply to
49again

I did the same thing t'day... yes, it looks sweet... I think it's got export issues, but I'm sure that plugins will save that particular day...

however, I am using Art of Illusion these days

& find it pretty impressive (especially given that it is free), it can do animation too.. & the scripts are written in BeanShell.. which is a 'nice' beginner's (or refresher's) language..

I won't be using SketchUp, but anything that gets people 3D modelling is a good thing..

myDublinAddress