OT: Bearing type for horizontal mount of sprocket

I have something in mind that I need for a project, but I don't know what it's called, so I can't find it. I'm hoping that one of you can help.

This project will have two sprockets (one that drives a chain, one that guides it) mounted horizontally (think the Wheel of Fortune wheel as opposed to the Price is Right wheel). One sprocket will be attached to a motor; the other will need to be on a bearing. I'm thinking of a pillow-block type of bearing, but with a vertical shaft that I can drop the sprocket down onto. Preferrably the bearing 'block' will have a few mounting holes so it can mount to a horizontal board.

Did that make sense? If it did, is there a name for such a bearing so that I may find one that'll work for me? Websites would help as well.

Bonus points--find a website that shows me how to design a sprocket in SolidWorks. I found this one:

... but either I'm doing something wrong or the instructions are unclear/incorrect (I'm not getting the results that I should).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

Hey Brian,

What you're describing is called a Flange-Mount Ball bearing. Look it up at McMaster-Carr, and you'll find more than you can shake a stick at.

HTH, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Sorry, I didn't read to the Bonus Points section. I think that the description is very good, and should result in a fairly good sproket for a SW model. If you need help email me your sproket specs, and I'll see what I can do.

BTW, Thanks for the link, I ordered the Chain book (it's FREE). Muggs Muggs-8-2-8-@-com-cast-.-net without the dashes

Reply to
Muggs

I managed to figure it out & draw a sprocket that's adjustable by number of teeth. I still think there's something wrong with the steps given at that website. In the second illustration they tell you to offset the lines drawn in the previous step by the chain pitch. It appears that they offset the middle (vertical) line by pitch on BOTH sides--so when you draw circles at the intersections (in the next step), they are apart by 2X pitch. See what I mean?

I went back to McMaster-Carr (had been there before but didn't see what I was looking for) and with your help I was able to find exactly what I need.

Thanks!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

Glad I could help. Yes, I do see what you mean. I guess it could have been worded better, but I 'm glad that you got what you're looking for.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Hi, A couple of thnigs: try

for GearTrax - it will make sprockets "automatically" given the correct parameters. I use this software often and really like it. You can get a free 10 day trial. This will make short work of the sprocket. Second, have you looked around McMaster-Carr for the "bearing block"

Sounds like a clothing conveyor system. Those work fundamentally like you describe.

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
miket

Keep in mind that many mounted bearings use bearing cartridges with a spherical OD which accommodates a measure of axial misalignment between two installed bearings. One such bearing cannot be used to support a cantilevered shaft otherwise the bearing will swivel in the housing when a light load is applied. Two mounted bearings must be used with a degree of separation between them proportional to the applied loads and bearing capacity.

Dave

Reply to
David Radlin

Brian,

We use Brewer Machine products as well as Martin and Browning. They all have sprockets with bearings mounted and a selection of mounting posts with brackets. Try brewertensioner.com.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Wolfe

If you still are looking for sprocket help, I have a sprocket part that is built on a design table that will build any size RC sprocket. You copy a line from the proper size (RC60, RC80 etc.) and then fill in the parameters for number of teeth, bore, LTB, hubs, keys, setscrews, etc. Eventually I will automate the process, but I haven't had the time to work on it. Let me know if you want a copy.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany