OT: Best place to find Military Spec No. for fasteners.

Anyone know of a place to get a full list of numbers with a good description (size/length)? I have sorted through most of Google's haystack to no avail. Where's the needle?

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to
rob nolin

Rob,

I would try someone like Century Fastener. The local rep (for us) is Shelby at (919) 787-1800.

Another possibility is to look in McMaster

They have lots of military fasteners, but they may not have a single table with them on it.

I would also look at the DTIC website

This is the US military portal.

Finally, Global may have a listing that you can purchase.

I would be interested in getting a copy (or finding out the link) when you do turn up something. My e-mail is: snipped-for-privacy@montie.com.

Hope that helps.

Montie

Home of the "NC Product Design Directory" --

rob nol> Anyone know of a place to get a full list of numbers with a good

Reply to
Montie

What kind of fastener? What kind of spec?

MS fasteners? NAS fasteners? MIL-STD fasteners? Bolts, screws, nuts, cap screws, hex nuts, hex bolts, machine screws, wood screws, washers, lock washers, etc. etc. etc.?

The first step in finding a solution, is defining your problem.

Reply to
swizzle

Which ones do you want, I have them all on disk. Also remember that Mil Spec is no longer a supported spec although most fastener suppliers still support them. Mil Spec has been taken over by SAE.

Or try

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

Rob, I've just recently and still am involved in an aircraft design project and found this site to be helpful.

scoll down to Part B Section 12 AN, MS hardware - rivets, bolts & locking devices.

Reply to
Nev Williams

Good luck. I think the needle has corroded to dust. I used to use DAPS ASSIST for AN, MS, older NAS specs, etc. I think they now require you to set to up an account for access and the specs are being revised which means that you have to buy them from SAE or someone like that, anyway. Best bet for freebies is (at least in my limited experience) vendor catalogs, manufacturers sites, find a buddy that has access to one of the subscription tech library services.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I am specifically looking for MS numbers. I have found several vendors that just list the MS numbers as a reference to what they sell, but with no description. I was able to find a site that provided what a given fastener was for a number range, but no specifics (i.e. MS numbers between 171401 and 171900 are Spring Pins, no sizes given).

Link to what I am referring to:

I am somewhat surprised that it so difficult to come by.

Perplexed,

Rob

Reply to
rob nolin

Try the link Phil provided*, type MS17140 in doc ID field and initiate search. Click doc history (pdf symbol) on first page to take you to a rev page. Click on the pdf icon there.

*Thanks, Phil. Hadn't tried it for several months and I can access it again (? dunno). I did notice that I can no longer RMB, Save Target As. Gives me a message saying I have to view it first then save a copy. My browser or their link?
Reply to
Jeff Howard

Phil's link is correct. I just went into the assist database and I can get the MS specs. But, most MS specs, as mentioned in the other threads, have been canceled and superseded with SAE and NAS specifications that you now have to buy. The good news is that SAE and NAS just copied the MS spec exactly.

Sadly, Assist only shows the latest revision. If the latest is a cancelation notice, that's all you're going to be able to see. You will have to sign up for an account to search for obsolete revisions. Within those you can get a free pdf of most MS specifications that still show the hardware.

--Scott

Reply to
swizzle

Thanks, Scott. FWIW, I don't think I've ever successfully signed up (I'm generally spacey but was also trying to sort out a firewall inst at the time; at any rate I didn't log in or have a cookie on board). I can click the "document" icon (I incorrectly said "pdf") in the first field of the search results record to access the document history page with links to the pdf's.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Another place to try is here