OT: Blow Mold Design

I was hoping to get some information from some of you experts in the molding field, I have been asked to look into finding a course or seminar on the process of mold design for Blow Molding. Does anyone know of any colleges or independent firms that teach the process of designing a mold for Blow Molding? I have seen plenty for Injection mold but not Blow Molding. Any information would be appreciated.

Larry Jedik

Reply to
Larry Jedik

Larry,

The basic SW operations are the same for blow, and injection molds. Blow molds tend to be simpler.

if you already know something about general blow mold design ( non SW specific), then the injection mold classes will give you what you need.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

This book is pretty good. I loaned it out and never got it back. Thanks for reminding me! :)

I would attend the SPE meetings and even SME and find someone that will let you visit their shop. You can see them in operation. And take notes.

You might want to get in touch with some of the molders, and vendors and see if they have any seminars or trade shows coming up.

You might even want to ask a blowmolder if you can work on a weekend for free just to gain some experiance. You may only be hauling material around but you could gain some experiance that way too.

HTH Bing

Reply to
Bing

Well, it's a bit late, but the SPE is holding their annual blow molding conference tomorrow and the day after in Troy, Michigan:

The Blow Molding Division website doesn't seem to have any links to courses or seminars:
Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

This book is pretty good. I loaned it out and never got it back. Thanks for reminding me! :)

I think this book is based more on Product design I believe looking at the description. Was there any mention of mold design in there?

I would attend the SPE meetings and even SME and find someone that will let you visit their shop. You can see them in operation. And take notes.

Yeah this might be a good idea although I've never attended any meeting but I think you could be right.

You might want to get in touch with some of the molders, and vendors and see if they have any seminars or trade shows coming up.

You might even want to ask a blowmolder if you can work on a weekend for free just to gain some experiance. You may only be hauling material around but you could gain some experiance that way too.

HTH Bing

I think that any of our current Blow molding vendors would be threatened to find out that we are exploring an in house Tool shop. I would prefer not to ask them although that would be the ultimate leaning experence as you have described. Especially with how the economy has been the past year I think they would feel threatened

Reply to
Larry Jedik

Its an overall type of book that explains the basics. IIRC has some good material in there. Blow molding is tough in some cases but it aint rocket science. I thought it to be an overall good book.

I think SPE and SME would be the best choice. Alot of those guys and girls will loan you books and material. I've found most to be nice people. There are some jerks in both orgs that will try to only network and keep everything to themselves. I would suggest attending a couple of meetings to figure them out first before ya go out on a learning limb. :)

Oh, hell yea they would!

Tread lightly...

Bing

Reply to