OT: eBay scams are rampant - BEWARE

Hi All,

Just a friendly warning to use common sense on eBay (and other places) these days. Scamming is absolutely out of control. In the past week I have looked at 3 auctions and all 3 were scams. There are many variations, but they all end up asking you to wire transfer or send money Western Union for something that appears to be a very good deal. I also was looking at buying a motorcycle in the Autotrader, and it turned out to be the same type of scam. Then I saw the exact same bike on eBay with the EXACT SAME WORDING in the Autotrader scam!

Anyway - just watch out. I've been reporting these, but I can't believe what people think they can get away with! They don't realize it is fraud and they can go to jail!? The problem is it is next to impossible to catch these people as they are phony numbers and addresses, and they all use a hotmail or yahoo account.

On a positive note, you *can* strike back... This is hilarious, and is well worth the read. I read it here - but this site was down the last time I looked:

Another site is here:

But I suggest you read the .pdf version here:

Awesome.

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Use (low limit) credit cards only .... Maximum loss about $50 ... and ask first for their merchent number ... then check that number with your credit card firm to assure that they are valid before disclosing it to them.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Reply to
TheTick

Thats an awful lotta money, Trumpet or no, and you'll still have to retap those whitworth threads :(

Reply to
rocheey