OT: Exterior door hinge

Forgive the OT post, please. As usual I trust the denizens of comp.cad.solidworks to come up with a useful answer to a somewhat technical question, since most people here are naturally hardware-centric. As a contributor of about six or seven years now I think maybe I might call in a favor once in a while . . . correct me if I'm wrong.

Both my neighbor and my mother need a hinge for an exterior door that is secure, but which will allow the door to open outward instead of inward. Looking over various hardware web sites (Southco, McMaster-Carr, MSC, etc.) and having gone to Home Cheapo and also Lowe's I'm still clueless. Yeh, I know there are hinges with caps that can't be taken off, but a disk cutter can still defeat the hinge. There are also hinges with pin embedded in one side and the other side with hole, and when you put two hinges in with pins facing opposite the door can't be easily taken off from outside . . . except again it can be defeated with a disk cutter. Has anyone ever seen a hinge -- maybe one that folds out (sort of) -- in which the pin is below flush and/or otherwise can't be defeated with a little elbow grease from outside?

TIA 'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Did you check out #1612A55 at McMaster (full mortise hinge)? This particular size is made for a 1 3/4 door (common exterior size), and it would be fully hidden and unavailable for tampering.

I've also seen "continuous geared hinges" which are another option but are exposed on the exterior just as standard hinges would be. The difference is that it runs from the top to the bottom of the door... I can't imagine anybody taking the time to cut six feet of hinge away. They're expensive.

Concealed hinges (similar to the first spec) are probably the way to go--they're just hard to find. Good luck, & let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Brian

Reply to
Brian M

Reply to
Sporkman

We have hinges on our office doors just like your mums. What our locksmith did was put two steel pins on the door at the hingeline, these go into holes in metal plates recessed and screwed on the door jamb. When the door is closed and locked the hinges can be removed but the pins are engaged in the jamb, the door cannot be opened. A good locksmith should have these.

Reply to
Phil Evans

Can't envision it from your description. Wish I could. Thanks anyway. Maybe I'll take the description to a locksmith.

Reply to
Sporkman

Reply to
Phil Evans

Also check out the Soss hinges, which are completely invisible from the outside.

They make them in 3" sizes out of bronze & stainless, as I have used them on boats.

I just tried the following on a lark and the link worked:

Have fun: Bo

Reply to
Bonobo