OT: Firefox and SW

I just installed FireFox and did some SW centric testing. Here are my results:

  1. Really fast. It is as if the files were coming up from a local source.

  1. SW forums work fine.

  2. The initial load of the SW website is a bit scrambled, but it eventually straightens itself out. The SW website is not as responsive as Google. Probably a lot of latency on SW part. With IE you won't notice it, but with Firefox you will.

  1. 3D Condiment Central doesn't work.

  2. Google Groups (beta) is really fast. Mike Wilson's website is reasonably fast. Different download dialog box.

  1. I haven't checked out eDrawing support yet.

  2. The learning curve was about 2 seconds. Has a slightly Linux desktop look to it.
Reply to
P.

I've been trying to like it, and you're right, it really is noticeably faster than IE. I like the way the bookmark folders stay open better than IE, and it retains webpage thumbnail icons. I can't seem to get it to use Java, and it doesn't work with Instant 3D Website, which I link to from my personal website. 3DIW seems to think it's Netscape.

I also use Netscape 7.2 and Avant. Avant has some nice image server and ad blocking stuff, and nice gesture based functions as well as tabbed web pages, ways to close multiple pages, can pick URLs off of the clipboard, open new windows of the current page, etc Avant also has a pretty powerful password manager that doesn't get cleared out every time you blast your temporary internet files.

I like Netscape because it gives me a usable free HTML editor, which is what I have used to maintain my website, although I created it with Dreamweaver because of the frames. I'm not an HTML wizard, I can work with Netscape with my limited knowledge.

"P." wrote in news:1100830249.248793.229750 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
matt

If you want the equivalent to Netscape, download the full version: Mozilla. Same security and popup blocker as Firefox, plus editor and mail/newsgroup module.

If Firefox is like Mozilla, you can turn Java on or off in the preferences.

I've cleared my cache several times without loosing the passwords.

Reply to
Bob P

Installing Sun's Java VM will solve that problem.

Black Dragon

I'm using Firefox 1.0 Web Browser) and Thunderbird 0.9 (E-Mail - Newsgroup). With Firefox, you may need to download and install a few plug-ins at first, but after I did, it seems to work just fine with almost any content. It's got it's own pop-up blocker which works really well. The tabbed browsing works great too.

Thunderbird is just great! It's so much better than Outlook. It handles the Solidworks newsgroup just fine. It will filter all the garbage for you and I also have filters set up for newsletters, e-mail lists, family, friends. Filtering is way better than Outlook too.

Just my 2 cents on the whole issue.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

How do you do tabs with Firefox?

I've done a little looking around in it, but not much.

matt

"Richard Charney" wrote in news:g2qnd.21852$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
matt

Ctrl-T will open a new tab. Right clicking on a link will bring up a menu that includes starting the link in a new tab or a new window too. Very handy.

Reply to
Bob P

Ah, yes,very cool. I see ctrl selecting a link will also do it.

Thanks for the tip.

Have you ever used Avant?

Bob P wrote in news:z7rnd.19538$DF7.16040 @newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

matt

There is also a toolbar button that can be turned on, to open a new tab. If you keep the tab bar visible, even if you have only one tab, you can double click in the area where there aren't any tabs yet and it will open a new tab.

Also, if anyone wants to add a little functionality to either Firefox or Thunderbird, go to

and download and install the calendar. It works really well and it can be installed in both Firefox and Thunderbird. After you install it, you'll have toolbar button that can be turned on to run the calendar.

Reply to
Richard Charney

Not me.

I'm still learning all the tricks of Mozilla. ;>) Maybe I should buy the book...

FWIW Dept.:

You can start individual modules of Mozilla with the commands:

Mozilla: mozilla.exe Mail/News: mozilla.exe -mail Editor: mozilla.exe -editor Calendar: mozilla.exe -calendar

Reply to
Bob P

sure firefox is nice and it is the next IE killer, but isn't everybody gettin all excited about opera? opera has everything that FireFox has AND MORE.

do you guys use hotkeys? Opera has one hotkey that good ol' bob z. uses non-stop. the letter 'z'. what happens when you hit z? BACK. yes, BACK.

bob z. p.s. see below

Reply to
bob zee

Funny how reinventing the wheel makes it popular again. I used to run Opera and then I think because I had to view eDrawings or something it became disused. I look at FireFox as the new Netscape. I always preferred Netscape for the same reasons Matt liked it, integrated mail and html editor. However, Firefox has one other big plus and that is that it can run on any OS, not just Windoze.

Reply to
P.

Goodness :-)

When clicking on a link, click with your middle mouse button.

Here is another tip :press control and scroll the wheel. (or ctrl+/ctrl-)

There are many many more, and when you're done with them chec out extensions :-) Try RSS for live bookmarks ...

MS thought they won the battle, so why develop.

Giorgis

Now that is cool. Perfect for scanning and then reading (for those of us with trifocals). That almost sounds like an enhancement SW could use.

Click on an assembly part with the middle mouse and open that part in a separate window or at least put it in edit mode.

Hold down control after selecting a part and zoom in on that part or feature.

Reply to
P.

Another SW centric use of Firefox that enables SW users to get help when they need it is this:

On separate tabs open all the web sites that are known to provide support for SW. comp.cad.solidworks (through Google Beta), SNUG, SW Forum

SW Community (
Mike Wilson's site
Matt's site
your VAR's website, etc. Then in tools make all the tabs home tabs. Next time you start Firefox all SW resources will be ready and waitng. You should even be able to setup a link to SW online help, What's New, API help, etc.

Reply to
P.

I love Opera. I have tons of control over the content. The mouse gestures are pretty neat too.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Alt/scroll wheel goes back and forward in Mozilla/Firefox

I tried Opera several times and really wanted to use it with the tabs and all before Mozilla, but as far as I can see, Mozilla wins hands down for it's mail/newsgroup interface.

Is Opera based on IE?

Reply to
D Short

Not even remotely. I do seem to remember that there was an add-on that you could get to do something like tabbed browsing with IE. I don't remember what it was called.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale Dunn

It is NetCaptor.

I adds much more to IE than tabs. My favorite browser up to now. My main concern about Firefox is plugins. What about Flash ? SVG ? Philippe Guglielmetti

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

"Philippe Guglielmetti" a écrit dans le message de news:41a42c05$0$28030$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunrise.ch...

1.0 is much better than previous versions. I have not yet run into a plugin that does not work or can't be found (automaticaly). The only pb left is a having a download manager that works, the reason being that I have not found any time to spend on that.

JM

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN