OT: Fireplace dimensions

I hope the holidays are finding everyone well and happy. I'm in the middle of something that would require that I be able to modify a fireplace insert design to fit a broad variety of fireplaces. As such, I'd really like to collect a fair amount of data from different fireplace designs, especially those which have a gas line feed (either as a burn starter or for gas logs). Wondering whether some of you gents (and ladies) would be so kind as to go to their fireplaces and provide a few basic measurements? I've provided some guidelines regarding the kind of data I need below.

Opening width Opening height Width at back wall Depth to back wall from opening at bottom Depth to back wall from opening at top (if back wall is anything but vertical) Depth from fireplace front to inside of "lip" at top (thickness of fireplace wall) Height to top of gas line/fittings/valves from bottom (for clearance purposes) Optional (but very helpful) Distance from fireplace front to gas line (and associated components). Height to bottom of metal damper in flue (not including damper handle) Height of rear wall to point where it breaks forward toward damper

Especially important is any consideration which falls outside of these data and which would affect how a fireplace insert might fit in a fireplace.

I'm only needing approximates, such that I can better understand the variety of fireplace configurations out there. Rounding to the half-inch is fine.

Thanks VERY much to anyone who responds, Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

I used to do design work for a stove company (gas and wood burning) and I had to do a similar project. I have an architectural background so I knew the first place to look. Check out a book called "Architectural Graphic Standards". It has a section on fireplace design and gives the guidlines (the mix /max dimensions your looking for) used for a variety of typical fireplace designs. Most architects design using these guidelines, the information in the book may not account for every fireplace application but it should cover a large percentage of them.

Reply to
Rock Guy

Reply to
Sporkman

Are you planning to take a Jolly guys job next year and jump down a variety of chimneys Spork? (I want a Particle Accelerator Sant err Spork) ;)

Happy holidays and a Happy new year to you and your family /Mike S

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
solidworks

Found the book at the library. Not really very useful for this purpose, BTW, as in my experience it does NOT take into account quite a few different variations I've actually seen in homes (e.g., some rear walls slope forward, most don't; the side wall angle(s) going from front to rear varies greatly; the height and configuration of gas lines, valves and fittings vary greatly). Oh well. I guess there's nothing for it but to go around asking neighbors and friends to let me look at their fireplaces. Thanks anyway.

'Sporky'

Rock Guy wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman