OT Flash-based USB stick with a capacity of 8 GB

Interesting: http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/12/30/pretec_8gb_usb_stick /
I wonder if XP, Excel, and SolidWorks would fit on one?
Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell www.3-ddesignsolutions.com
Devon,
This isn't as off topic as you might think. Have you ever used a memory stick for SW files? I have found the following to be true:
1. Latency seems a tad bit higher than a hard drive. Can't explain that. 2. They get nice and warm. Like every other bit of hardware in you system, it can be stress tested by running SW related activities.
I think to run SW on a USB stick you would have to create an image of your system disk and load it into a ram disk to run. Otherwise how are you going to deal with the registry entries these programs need to run?
Devon T. Sowell wrote:

I'm no expert on this subject.
I have used memory sticks for small assemblies and drawings, so I haven't really noticed a latency problem. The heat gain is noticeable.
I seem to recall that XP Pro takes approx. 4GB, all the files in my desktop folder Program Files are 7.2GB. I think it would be interesting to see if the entire OS, Excel, and SolidWorks could be loaded. Then, I guess, trying to get the Host to Boot off this drive would be the next requirement. Taking this further, one could have a portable "computer" for $560.00(price of the USB stick in the article) plus software on a USB stick?
Devon

Devon,
As well as the issues Paul pointed out, there's also the issue of reliability.
Flash based devices aren't a very good choice where alot of interactive reading, writing, and overwriting, is involved. This is because flash memory has a finite limit to how many times it can be written to. In a dynamic environment, like an OS or an application like SW, areas of memory are constantly being changed, updated, etc. This could wear out a flash module rather quickly. The last time I checked, the individual transistor elements were limited to about 400K read write cycles. This sounds like a lot, and it is when dealing with file storage. But an OS or application would go through that number pretty fast.
Rrgards
Mark

Interesting. I didn't know that.
Thanks, Devon