OT: Floor/Oil Pans...

OK - Please note and sorry the Off-Topic, but the guys in the shop came to me on this one.

We have a total of about 25 Gear Cutting Machines (Mikron, Fellows, Gleason, etc) and a few of them have what they call "Floor Pans", which are basically an approx 3' x 3' wide x 2" high rather thick gage (with corners welded) sheet metal pans that the machines sit in the middle of, that catch debris and splatter/drip oil from the cutting process in order to keep the floor clean and free of oil.

I've googled and searched but am having no luck, probably because the terminology is wrong. Anyone got an idea on what I'm actually searching for or know any company that carries them? If not, sounds like I have to get a local sheet metal fabricator to make some up.

I posted here as I know many of you SWx users are in the sheet metal fabrication business and may know where to point me....

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Reply to
IYM

PepBoys, Advance Auto, NAPA????

Reply to
TOP

Those should be very easy for any fab shop to build. I can't imagine that you'd find anything less expensive ( once shipping is included ) that's premade.

Do keep in mind that many machine tools require a substantial, solid, level base. Anything you put under the machines needs to be very flat, or accuracy will suffer. The machinist, that we use, has troughs mounted around the perimeter of his machines. They still catch the oily/greasy junk, yet allow the machines to be mounted directly to the floor. They are also made so that one corner is lower than the others, with a petcock in it. Makes for easy cleanup.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks Brian - I had a feeling that would end up being the route, but I wanted to cover all bases. Our accuracy for gear cutting usually are within .0003-.0004 when checking tooth to tooth error as well as the total composite error and are the same on both the gear cutters standing in trays and the one's that are not, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Scott

IYM