OT - Human Anthropometric Measurements

Does anybody know where I can find some data on human measurements...I looking for 8 - 14 year olds. I am designing a recreational toy and need data on leg lengths , maximum operational angles and available power for a given period. I know this is a tall order but I'm sure some organisation has recorded this information.

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Miller

Hello Simon,

I would highly recoment this book: The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design You can get at Amazon, Bornes&Noble, Borders, etc.

Also, try this, I don't know anything about it but it looks interesting:

HTH, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

mil-std-1472f human engineering mil-hdbk-759c human engineering design guidelines mil-hdbk-1908b definitions of human factors terms dot_faa_ct-96_1 human factors design guide

These are freely available but deal mainly with adult anthropometry

Reply to
Phil Evans

There is (was) a company in Canada IIRC that sold a program called "Mannequin" years back. Pretty good program with fully associative lifelike humans. I was a var for them a bit, but I'll be if I can recall the name of the company. "HumanCad" "Bio-Mechtronics" or something like that.

They're database was done by laser scanning different groups of people. You could pick by age, race, military or general populous and percentile. It was pretty intense. Mainly for ergonomics design. The humans could be pulled into Autodesk Animator.

You may be able to search around for the proggie or the company and find out more.

HTH

Bing

Reply to
Bing

Simon Miller wrote on 28.11.2003 17:01 Uhr

Hi Simon,

I am not near my info (in the office) right now, but if you do a search of this group, I posted some links about 4-6 (I think) months ago about this topic.

From the UK is a free compilation called Childata (spelled that way). This had a mixture if info gathered from many countries, primarily Europe and the US. I also found a fantastic data source from Japan also covering these ages. That one was not so cheap....

If you cannot find the link, send me an email and I will give you the info next week.

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
daniel

Being that I was just spammed from someone that is tryin to sell me software from my last post the company is called NexGen Ergonomics from what he says. Ask Tel for more info.

Bing

Reply to
Bing

That's MannequinPro at

Marc

Reply to
Marc Gibeault

My public library has the Humanscale materials produced by Henry Dreyfus.

The materials are very thorough, though I can't remember if children were

represented.

I also think that Paul Zwaan's 'bodyworks' has a child model. I know that

he spent a lot of time making sure his models were anthropocentrically

correct. His site is Zetec.com

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Cheers guys, you have helped greatly