OT: Is comp.cad.solidworks getting slower?

Is it just me, or is the latency on this newsgroup dropping to a day or more?

Reply to
P.

Probably just you or your newsserver. Try another one.

Reply to
Cliff

i use outlook express and its usally instntnaous. where can u find a list of available newsservers?

Reply to
3d

Its Google at work. Seems to take a day to get a post to show up. This is true even when I send stuff to my Comcast server. There it appears quickly, but Google takes time.

try the google groups 2 (beta) site

kenneth b

I heard about this German server through this newsgroup a few years back - I have been using it ever since. It is free, goes through outlook, and it updates instantly.

I cannot find the english language home page anymore, but here is an english language part of the site - maybe you can root around to find out how to sign up (or maybe your deutsch is gut).

good luck. You might also try a google search of this newsgroup to find the original link from a few years back

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

So that is why you use your whole name.

The beta google site is fast too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
P.

Google searches it's archives to display or find posts. It has to archive posts first; it's not really a Usenet server. It's a search engine. It updates it's archives every 6 to 9 hours, in general. That's what takes the time. There's a notice to that effect on Google too. Sometimes you get lucky and post just before an update or search right after one. Things posted from Google do propagate to the real newsservers almost at once though, so everyone else sees them rapidly.

HTH

Reply to
Cliff

Cliff wrote: ...snip

The Google-Beta is fast though. Makes one wonder if they are deviating from the course they have followed for so long of keeping record of all the posts.

I guess I have used it because it is convenient and doesn't require loading new software or using Outlook. And it allows me to do searches in the same context as participating. Most news servers get stuck when asked to pull up all of a thread that may be months or years old.

Reply to
P.

Each has it's purpose. Few, if any, actual Usenet servers archive anything beyond a few weeks at best.

Reply to
Cliff

This is it...

I signed up with them after Ed recommended them. They are fantastic! I think it took a couple of weeks for them to reply though, but it's worth it.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson