OT: looking for UK ACME thread cutter

Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone new anyone it the UK who could cut an ACME style thread into a 500mm length on nylon rod, OD 10 - 15mm.

Thanks

Lee

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - Factory

Lee,

Cutting any kind of thread into a long skinny, bendable, twistable, rod like that will be difficult. There's no structure to ressist the cutting force. Maybe a lathe with a Swiss type feed through collet. Or a die.

Does it have to be Nylon. Nylon swells alot with humidity and moisture. It will probably lock up. It also has alot of creep under load. Is there any glass in it.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Cliff,

I've threaded 1/2" Delrin 20" (500mm) with a follower rest. I still got some grabbing and torsional twisting in the middle. This was a standard 60deg, thread. Nylon is much softer, it cold flows, you've got more tool contact (Acme form), and a smaller .390" diameter.

Guess I should have shared this in my first response. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, but there are better ways of doing this. Like Bo said, you can probably find something that will work in a catalog.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Cliff,

Not on a manual lathe.

Multistart threads can even be extruded if they're fast enough

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg