OT - Maxwell product rendering example

Hello,

For those interested in "Maxwell Render"

My company is working on a new USB flash drive. It has been rendered using Maxwell. An example has been posted at

Sorry to have erased the "face" from the image, but showing this would violate the IP.

Modeled in Solidworks, setup in 3DS Max (scene setup and texturing), rendered in Maxwell. Printable results in 4 hours or so...

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
Mike Tripoli
*Very* nice results.

Markus.

Mike Tripoli wrote:

Reply to
Markus Wankus

The render looks great. I'd have believed that it was a photo.

Too bad the shape looks so much like a urinal :-)

David

Reply to
David McCall

Is it a urinal, or one of those "plastic pee pots" without the handle LOL!

I'm glad you mentioned this; though this is by no means the finished shape, getting input like this is important.

Thanks.

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

Mike,

I was thinking "bedpan" :)

But actually, it looks like your marketing to boy/girl teens with the colors and the fact they can be put on a key chain (or something), so how about finish the shapes that they look like into the "male" & "female" sex symbols? heh... :)

In all seriousness, the renderings are very impressive, despite the jabs you get at the product. I might have to take a look at Maxwell. I looked, but it seems they don't have downloadable evaluation software available on their site unless I missed it...

Is there a 30 day trial or something available?

Scott

Reply to
SMacIntyre

face? paris hilton? ha!

very nice render, btw, fooled me.

ca

Mike Tripoli wrote:

Reply to
clay

Mike

Would it be possible to get the same result with Maxwell's SolidWorks Plug-in? Or is that asking too much for an Alpha release?

Regards John Layne Solid Engineering Ltd

Reply to
John Layne

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:45:47 +1200, John Layne Plug-in? Or is that asking too much for an Alpha release?

The actually rendering in the SW plug-in is the same, its just that the setting up of the camera position in sw2005 is not very good. In fact it can be impossible to control and I mostly miss the whole product, so I await sw2006 and the Maxwell standalone renderer.

However Maxwell say this camera problem has been cured in sw2006.

Also the SW plugin does not support texture mapping so you can only set - colour, roughness ("spark finish" sort of) and also dielectric properties for glass - in fact the dielectric properties are exceptional in their realism.

However there is a leap forward in the the sw2006 plugin, and the stand alone renderer that will be released in June. Hopefully then a SW assembly file can be exported direct to Maxwell. However Maxwell have not released details for exact transfer of files from SW. Understandbly they want to keep things a bit secret until the beta is relased, which is fair enough.

I beleive Mike exported this file to 3d max and used the Max plugin to control the camera etc. However better for him to explain. I think it is a great rendering and making a few assumptions, the set up would not have been that long. The rendering time is another matter though, but it is an alpha release so renders will speed up when it goes 'public'

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Yes to everything that Jonathan said, plus; we did the setup in 3DS Max because that's what the guy that I work with uses (I actually prefer Lightwave 3D).

I imagine that the SW plugin for Maxwell will "grab" the OpenGL polymesh from the display, and render that. This has it's pro's and con's.

Check out the new thread "Beer Glass"...

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
Mike Tripoli