OT - mCAD forum

If you haven't checked it out already, due so. There is a KBA for just SW. If you have some KBA you would like to share, Please do so at the mCAD site. The forum is pretty sweet too. I have posted a number of my FAQ that I have made over the years there. I know some of you guys have some great Answer and FAQ's you could share with us all.

Thanks, Scott Baugh, CSWP

Reply to
Scott

Am I missing some area or what... but this is the 2nd trip over to the forum, and all the dialogue appears to be Inventor users who are tinkering with, or due to a particular project, required to do something in SWX. A majority of the inferences I've read are how SWX can't do a particular thing "like Inventor" can. I read the review of Solidworks 2005 (by an Inventor user) who pretty much called it a "me too" product with very little original content.

Difficult to get excited about going back over there.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Coleman

Agreed, it's not all THAT exciting, but I'm pretty sure Scott was talking about the "Knowledge Base Articles", which mostly are about SolidWorks. The "SolidWorks Discussion" is what you're talking about. There's also a "Engineering & Design" discussion area that does have some reasonably interesting posts in it.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

I that case Bill I think I will take a look, I didnt know there was anything Inventor could do that Solidworks cant, not reading this group anyway :-)

Reply to
Phil Evans

Hey guys I just snuck in past the bouncer to make a few comments.

I'm the owner/operator of mCADforums

It's true I'm an Inventor user from way back but I've dabbled in SWX (as well as a few others) as well. Im my opinion they are like phillips and flat screwdrivers. Each one does something well and should be used in certian situations. I like them both.

It's also true that the site started as an Inventor site. After a while I added the forums and the the Engineering& Technology and the Consultant's Corner areas becuase of a lack of a place for CAD professionals to discuss these types of things.

The SWX area is very young (actually it's older but there are few posts). I'd like that to change. Please don't take a few posts as representative of the attitude towards SWX. A majority f the IV users at my site think highly of the product. I thik the ommenst you saw were a result of frustration trying to learn a new product.

I'm also welcome to comment and suggestions. The KBA contet was opened to SWX users because of Scott's suggestions.

So I welcome you to come over and join (or start) a conversation. A lot of us have found the ability to discuss design and engineer issues very valuable. I hope you find it valuable as well.

Here, hold my drink. I see the muscle bound bouncer heading my way. Bye...

Reply to
Sean Dotson

...and I need to turn on spell check for my new newsreader.. sorry...

Reply to
Sean Dotson

Dude, you saved me a pile of typing ;)

Reply to
rocheey

No bouncers here. If you're polite you won't get flamed -- at least not by most people -- and if you do some will likely come to your defense.

'Sporky'

Sean Dots>

Reply to
Sporkman

That maybe....

But if more and more of us SW users go there as an alternative area of communication between other SW users, then we can create another SW community there as well. I use this Community and a few others to communicate to other SW users around the world. My preferred site I like the best is

Even though there are some here that don't like it, I do. Besides that though, this isn't the only forum to post questions and answers too. The wider your range the better chances you will get of getting an answer. Who cares if there are some Inventor user playing around with SW. That just means they might find SW to be better then Inventor. That means more SW users, and the less Acad users and IMO that is better. I'm not an AutoCAD or Inventor fan at ALL. But you know they have a SW community and I'm going to take advantage of it. Anytime there are people asking SW questions I'll always be there to help them out.

There are always going to be people that bash other CAD systems because 1) they don't understand it or 2) They are dedicated users. I'm a Dedicated SW user and I'll bash AutoCAD or any other system that I either don't understand or just plain don't like (particularly AutoCAD). But hey I'm a SW user and I don't plan on ever changing that.. Just because of some stupid review that a Inventor user wrote, is keeping you from the site is stupid IMHO. I have read worse articles directly from AutoCAD themselves and you don't see that stopping me from using SW. Let them bash SW if they want too. If you have a voice and you want to be heard then post in that NG and let those Inventor users know you are a SW user and proud of it. Post your own reviews or one that you found online about Inventor. I'm sure there are some reviews that bash Inventor. But hey if you don't want to go and be heard, then I guess Inventor wins...?

FYI - There is a KBA contest going on at Sean's mCAD site too.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP

Reply to
Scott

But of course. I lurk here quite often.

Just trying to provide what I see as a needed forum for designers and engineers to discuss issues. Everyone is welcome as long as they are open to new ideas. Hope to see you all there at least in the engineering & consulting sections.

Reply to
Sean Dotson