OT: New cpu mobo...AMD has got to go

Howdy guys! I have a question here.... I currently have the following system:

Asus AV7333 Mobo Athlon XP 2200+ CPU Volcano CPU fan + 6 case fans (yeah it sounds like a freakin plane!)

2x 80gb Maxtor HD Got some dual channel raid config crap..Promise Something (my IT also thinks this might be the culprit) if it is how does one git it outta there!? 1gb ram Quadro 900 XGL Win XP Pro sp1 Typical burner, dvd-rom, floppy, ms mouse and keyboard, IEEE card, audigy sound, modem, network card, etc.

I have recently gotten the blue screen for a corrupt registry. My IT guy had to repair install to get me back in and after the purchase of a Seagate 160 GB External HD I was able to push all my important data off the original drives and reformat/reinstall. After a few hrs getting back to the start line I thought all was well. BUT just last night I got a new blue screen and not sure what it means, took a dig pic but forgot what it says, My IT guy says he thinks its a heat issue and I should redo the fan cpu set up some heat transfer junk between the fan and cpu, I don't know. Anyway, it is true you get more bang for the buck in an AMD chip vs an Intel chip, but do you also get more problems? Well I'm ready to go back to Intel, not because AMD sucks, I still think economically speaking it's worth it, but my home computer is AMD and is broke and every work computer I've had has been Intel and has worked fine, maybe not as fast but more stable. Agree? If I decide to push on with the change I am looking at an Intel P4 3.2-3.4, but which mobo should I go with? What about the Xeon? Worth it? Is there any validity in my gripe or should I remain true to AMD and just try and figure out my issues? I GOTS TO HAVA STABLER 'PUTER! TIA

Very frustrated,

3D
Reply to
3d

All of our newer machines are AMD's. We're in the process of phasing out all Intel stuff. Ours are just as stable (more so in some cases) than the PIII's and P4's they're replacing. We use Win2k

I would look at the video drivers as a possible cause for crashes. In my 12 years or so of working with NT, Win2k, etc., I've found that over 90% of blue screens are caused by video drivers.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

I only have one Intel left, AMD works great. My next upgrades will be the FX chip, with the second version Nforce boards, and not Asus as I find them not as stable at Abit.

Drivers, junk installations and lack of defragmenting are the major causes of crashes with Solidworks. Your blue screen will give you the correct information where to start, copy the text and look-up the problem.

As to your heat and fan issues. I use the standard AMD fan (3400 rpm), it is extremely quiet and my machine runs around 44C with a case temp of 32C. I was able to reduce noise from 71DB down to 57DB by changing to Vantec Stealth fans 2 at rear - 1 at top - 1 at side. I also use a 120 mm fan at the front to keep the hardrives cool, 37C+39C. A 120 mm fan runs at 1400 rpm so it is very quiet. If noise is any issue, remove all fans from the front of the case. They do very little and the difference in noise level is huge.

Some Asus boards have very noisy fans over the board chipset, these are often the culprits with sound. Your board is not a performance board, an upgrade to an Abit NFS-S would be very noticable and stable.

Hope this helps,

AR

Reply to
Alan

NFS-S? would that be NF7-S? Thanks.

Reply to
3d

The two machines that I use that have AMD are more reliable than the newer Intel machine my two other co-workers have. It is an 1900mghz and in the last couple of years I have had it, no blue screens. Does my SW crash? Sure, but I am working on that. Usually one a day.

My next machine will most likely be an AMD. I am very happy with it.

Work computer:

1900 mghz AMD 1 gig ram win 2000 pro, latest SP SW 2004 SP3

Home computer:

1800 mghz AMD VIA KT266 Pro 2 mb XP Home, latest SP 1 gig ram SW 2004 SP3

Dan

Reply to
Dan Bovinich (home)

"3d" a écrit dans le message de news: TIadnbR_A snipped-for-privacy@bright.net...

????????????? Add some more ?????????? Your IT guy does not know Aida 32, or any utility that monitors CPU and MB heat sensors?

I have had a bunch of blue screens on a system with a bad RAM.

My .02 Eu

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

I just put a fast AMD machine together. I have no fan at all on the CPU and it runs quite cool. OK, OK, there is still something there. I got a HydroCool unit from Corsair. It is capable of cooling the CPU, graphics card, HDD, etc. In this application it is only used for the CPU. This thing is well built and easy to install. The thinking was that a lot of crashes are due to overheating. In fact when running SW hard you can watch the temperature go up, but it is stable.

BTW, AMD is not the hot runner nowadays. Intel's fast Pentiums give off about 30% more heat than the Athlons do. Dell uses a ducted fan to cool their CPUs. It is quiet till SW starts working and then becomes noticably louder. I was working on a Dell for the last little while and had several BSODs that may have been from that.

One place I was at used all AMD's with little problem.

And if you are hav> Howdy guys!

Reply to
kellnerp

I havve a Seagate External hard drive the 160gb version via USB2.0 and i have a Pentium 4 and never had a problem with it of the Blue Screen issue. I would put in another USB card just to see if you get the problem.

Reply to
Rocko

Yes, sorry for the typo.

AR