OT: New to XP

Hello All,

I'm new to Windows XP Pro, and I can't seem to figure this out on my own.

After copying some files from my old computer to my new computer via a home network, those files are "read only". This usually happens and it is't a big deal (usually). However, now when I RMB and select properties and uncheck read only (which BTW is grayed but clickable) and select apply, then "apply to this folder and all subfolders and files" the check mark is gone. BUT, when I RMB on the same file again, it's read only still (again). As you can imagine, SW Explorer doesn't like this at all.

I'm stumped!!!

Please help, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

I have the same problem, but SWX explorer can still rename etc. No problems with SWX. YET ?????????? Mike Eckstein

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Check mark? Are you sure you don't mean 'green square'?

The cartoonish new XP looks have a different tri-state check box than previous Windows versions. It used to be empty for deselected, grey check for mixed selections, and black check for all selected.

In XP, a green square replaces the grey check, and a greek check replaces the black check. This would all be fine and dandy except for the fact that the green square thing will *always* be present when you right click a directory and look at its properties.

Basically, you have no way of knowing if some files in a directory are read-only and others are not unless you open the folder and have a look.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Thanks Mike, But no joy.

I can create a new folder and I don't have a problem, but SWX won't let me copy to an existing folder???

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

I have check marks also. Looks like all the files in the folder will change properties but the "folder" itself always reverts back to a grey check box "read-only"

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Thanks Jim,

Yea, I hate that cartoony look, and had switched back to the 95/2K look. But, just on the chance that that was it I switched back to cartoon land, but still no joy!!!

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

What I get is that you can RMB/Properties on a FOLDER, uncheck the Read-only box, apply to folder & files, etc, and it appears to do just that. However, as you are finding, do it again and the grey check is still there, which signifies that not everything is the same setting. If you look at the FILES, they are, in fact not Read-only. So, turn on the attribute column in Explorer and watch the files themselves. Why the folder appears to still be Read-only, I don't know, but the fact is that I can rename it, so therefore it isn't.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks Wayne,

Well, that's basically what I did. I just created new folders, moved the contents of the "read only" folder to the new folder and deleted the old "read only" folder.

Worked like a charm, only a little time consuming : >(

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Hi Muggs,

You might also use CMD or COMMAND and use the ATTRIB command to see what is going on. I believe that DIRs can also have the read only attribute set.

I have also seen the greyed out check, which I think means that not all the files in the selected set have the attributes set the same (i.e some are read only, some are not).

Also helpful might be DIR /AR (dir of files with attributes read-only) or variants of this.

This might be another way to see what was happening.

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams