OT: news.individual.net is Going to cost us now!

http://news.individual.net /
Anyone using this NG server to post to this NG will have to pay to use the server.
That sucks!! IMO
I already fork out enough money as it is to internet, hosting and other things I do online. Now I have to pay to use a NG server. If I'm going to do that, I'm going to find a NG server that supports Binaries.
Just wanted to vent a bit. Let the flaming begin!
Regards, Scott
Scott wrote:

Who told you that?
--

Regards, Gary Wooding
They sent an e-mail this morning....I got it too...valid from April 1th....cost will be 10?/year

the
to do

I received an email from them yesterday stating that it would no longer be free. I think it said 10 euro a year. But once the charging begins, the price will surely escalate.

Does anyone find it funny that the charges start on April 1st? Is this a joke? I also got the same e-mail the funny thing is I don't think I ever gave them the e-mail it was sent to, though I may have posted using it.
Corey
message

I was also skeptical and so went to their website manually - the notice is there, so it's not phishing scheme.
My take on this is that while I am sad that a good service is not going to be free any more, I appreciate the fact that they let me use their stuff for a long time for free. It appears that the decision was a business one, and their conclusion was not an unreasonable one. I would prefer to find another good, reliable free source, but if not, their price, at this time, is not exorbitant. Let the search begin - anyone using an alternative that can offer a suggestion?
WT

Google has come a long way and is almost instantaneous now. Still I would rather use a news reader. Corey

use
going
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:23:38 -0600, "Wayne Tiffany"

Nothing that good lasts forever. I believe it came about when AOL dropped their news service. Individual was flooded beyond belief with new users.
Malcontent
I think we should be grandfathered in. =)
wrote:

is
for
and
time,
that

There is a line about grandfathered acounts on the home page: Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews project are not affected by the changes described above. Nothing will change for these users, they do not need to do anything.
I have NO idea how it happened, but that is the server that is associated with my longstanding account, though I don't know thing-one about the DFNNetNews project.
I'll be intereseted to see if the account expires April 1st, though I might just go ahead and offer to pay either way because I get so much value out of it. Thank you to all the Germans who have somehow been subsidizing my account - I have actually felt guilty about freeloading all this time, and am glad that the rate they are proposing is reasonable.
How did you figure that out. I used to post through News.cis.dfn.de back to probably 99 or 98 and all of the sudden a year or 2 ago it didn't work and directed me to news.individual.de.

might
of

I think it pays to not know what you are doing. When it comes to this stuff, I am like Chauncy Gardner is 'being there'
I like to watch! I just like to watch!
Muggs

Wow... that simple line takes on a different connotation on the internet, eh?

back
Yeah, Sorry! But it's still the first scene that goes through my mind when ever I hear the name Chauncey Gardner.
Muggs

Has anyone found a viable alternative yet? Remember that tomorrow's the last day for the free side.
WT

i hate using a browser but not many free alternatives, so i'm considering google groups beta(if the instant response servers are kept up).
I'm just using my ISP Newsgroup server. It doesn't post as fast as this one did but it comes with my Broadband connection monthly fee. Why should I pay and extra $10 for their service when I get it free through my ISP... I just happen to like their service better that's why I never switched.
Good by news.individual.net I will miss the fast posting you had.
Regards, SB

thanks, finally up and running on this server. good thing, as german server was yanked from under my feet a day early.

the posted time is correct