OT: news.individual.net is Going to cost us now!

Anyone using this NG server to post to this NG will have to pay to use the server.

That sucks!! IMO

I already fork out enough money as it is to internet, hosting and other things I do online. Now I have to pay to use a NG server. If I'm going to do that, I'm going to find a NG server that supports Binaries.

Just wanted to vent a bit. Let the flaming begin!

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Who told you that?

Reply to
Wooding

They sent an e-mail this morning....I got it too...valid from April

1th....cost will be 10?/year

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

I received an email from them yesterday stating that it would no longer be free. I think it said 10 euro a year. But once the charging begins, the price will surely escalate.

Reply to
Alan Krem, Krem Speed Equipment

Does anyone find it funny that the charges start on April 1st? Is this a joke? I also got the same e-mail the funny thing is I don't think I ever gave them the e-mail it was sent to, though I may have posted using it.

Corey

Reply to
CS

I was also skeptical and so went to their website manually - the notice is there, so it's not phishing scheme.

My take on this is that while I am sad that a good service is not going to be free any more, I appreciate the fact that they let me use their stuff for a long time for free. It appears that the decision was a business one, and their conclusion was not an unreasonable one. I would prefer to find another good, reliable free source, but if not, their price, at this time, is not exorbitant. Let the search begin - anyone using an alternative that can offer a suggestion?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Google has come a long way and is almost instantaneous now. Still I would rather use a news reader. Corey

Reply to
CS

Nothing that good lasts forever. I believe it came about when AOL dropped their news service. Individual was flooded beyond belief with new users.

Malcontent

Reply to
Malcontent

I think we should be grandfathered in. =)

Reply to
CS

There is a line about grandfathered acounts on the home page: Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews project are not affected by the changes described above. Nothing will change for these users, they do not need to do anything.

I have NO idea how it happened, but that is the server that is associated with my longstanding account, though I don't know thing-one about the DFNNetNews project.

I'll be intereseted to see if the account expires April 1st, though I might just go ahead and offer to pay either way because I get so much value out of it. Thank you to all the Germans who have somehow been subsidizing my account - I have actually felt guilty about freeloading all this time, and am glad that the rate they are proposing is reasonable.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

How did you figure that out. I used to post through News.cis.dfn.de back to probably 99 or 98 and all of the sudden a year or 2 ago it didn't work and directed me to news.individual.de.

Reply to
CS

I think it pays to not know what you are doing. When it comes to this stuff, I am like Chauncy Gardner is 'being there'

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

I like to watch! I just like to watch!

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Wow... that simple line takes on a different connotation on the internet, eh?

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Yeah, Sorry! But it's still the first scene that goes through my mind when ever I hear the name Chauncey Gardner.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Has anyone found a viable alternative yet? Remember that tomorrow's the last day for the free side.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

i hate using a browser but not many free alternatives, so i'm considering google groups beta(if the instant response servers are kept up).

Reply to
kb

I'm just using my ISP Newsgroup server. It doesn't post as fast as this one did but it comes with my Broadband connection monthly fee. Why should I pay and extra $10 for their service when I get it free through my ISP... I just happen to like their service better that's why I never switched.

Good by news.individual.net I will miss the fast posting you had.

Regards, SB

Reply to
Scott

thanks, finally up and running on this server. good thing, as german server was yanked from under my feet a day early.

Reply to
kb

the posted time is correct

Reply to