OT - Plastic Snap Hook Features

I am a mold designer, not a product designer. But my boss just took on a job to do product design that requires snaps hooks. I know there are a lot of variables when designing snaps to get them to work right. I just don't know them.

Does anyone know of a good resource (preferably online) that explains design specifications of plastic snap hooks?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

You might search around these sites for archived articles. They've saved my rear in the past. Solidworks help menu has a little background also.

Jack

Reply to
FrankW

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:QXAUf.40575$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com...

I haven't actually tried this one, but here is an online snap fit calculator from BASF:

The Ticona website has lots of design downloads, including a couple on snap fits:
GE Plastics also has a Snap Fit Wizard:
are also various on-line design guides. It took me a while to find the snap fit guide (Technical Research/Design Guides/Product Assembly Guide.

There are probably others as well. If you know what material you are going to be using I would try the supplier's website. Usually the design guidelines and calculations are given for just the supplier's materials.

Jerry Steiger

Just downloaded Bayer's guide. Looks like good late night reading.

Reply to
Jack

Thank you everyone. You've given me several good leads for the information I've been seeking... I had no luck. Guess I need to brush-up on my googling skills : )

Reply to
Seth Renigar