OT: Please help me!!!

Hello All,

OK, this is crazy! Over the weekend I reformatted my HDD and reinstalled Windows XP Pro. Now IE (or Avant Browser) will not let me chance my homepage from MSN search page. In IE it actually reads:

anyone (that's probably you TOP) knows how to remedy this I would be forever (well a day or two) in your debt.

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

That is worse than having your hands on the windowsill looking at a girl walk by, when the Windows fall on your fingers!

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

Do you mean that inside the "Tools: Internet Options" dialog in IE, that you can not delete the "Home page" "Address" and put in your own URL you want?

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

Switch to Firefox.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Nay

or better yet, switch to opera.

bob zee

Ok, I'll be the serious one here (this time.) Do you have SpyBot S&D running? That's one way that I can think of that will lock it.

Can you set it to Blank, or is it completely locked?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hey Wayne,

No, I use AdAware with AdWatch, but have turned them off while trying to make Google my homepage. Also In AdWatch I have Google set as my homepage.

I'm stumped as to what the problem is. I'm actually thinking about loading Firefox or Opera just to see whether or not they have the same prob.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

I have seen virus infections before that do what you are seeing - you might want to take a look at everything running and see if anything looks out of place.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

When reinstalling Windows make sure any connection to the internet is disconnected, otherwise you will be open to attack the moment Windows is installed. This is because you dont have an A/V installed. This is a classic sign of a hijack, should be able to remove it with a good anti spy software.

Reply to
Phil Evans

OK, First of all, Thank you all!!!

It was in fact my AdWatch. In AdWatch you can sellect what your default browser should be and AdWatch won't let any hijacker (or you for that matter) change the default browser. OK, so when I reformatted and started to load in all of my software, for some reason after installing AdAware with AdWatch, when I told AdAware my default homepage should be google it contiued to always return to MSN. After uninstalling AdAware and then reinstalling AdAware, all is as it should be.

Much JOY!!!!!

Thanks again for helping though this, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Reply to
G. De Angelis