OT: Refresh rates.

I have an 21" monitor(not flat or lcd), is it better to have a higher or lower refresh rate?

Thanks

CAD ROB

Reply to
Cad Rob

The lower the refresh rate, the faster things will be, but you also get to a point where you see flickering. So, set it where it's comfortable to view for the long haul.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

It depends on what the grfx card, monitor and your preference/tolerance/expectation of the image is.

75 hertz is the lowest I can tolerant. 85 hertz is generally a very good setting for me.

Beyond 85, something like 100+, is better but not neccesary any better and it can possibly give you slower response times. (btw, if you have two monitors next to each other, or dual monitor setup, you will most likely notice the differences if the settings are at 85 or below)

You really have to try out the different rates per your grfx card and monitor yourself, imho. That is, even at 100+ hertxz there sometimes is a slight distortion or sine/scan wave which may be seen, depending on how the crt works. Also, depending on the freq you choose, you may have to manually adjust/resize the image on your crt, see manual.

Anyhow, the higher the freq the better the image generally and the less strain on your eyes.

Oh, and lastly, be warned, some monitors can not handle higher refresh rates and can possibly be damaged so, check your manual. (I personally have never once experienced this by using the higher settings, even on fixed freq monitors but, a heads up just in case.)

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I run the highest refresh rate that a given card/monitor will support at my desired resolution (currently 85Hz @ 1600 x 1280 on a 21" CRT). IMOP, this reduces fatigue. I have been asking for an LCD display to make it even better.

I have never seen any performance difference due to refresh rate, although it does seem possible. It would require more data to be pushed to the monitor if you run a higher refresh. On the other hand, could it be that the cards limit the refresh rate to avoid this. By that I mean that they choose to only support 85Hz at 1600x1200, but

100Hz at 1280x1024 due the the different bandwidth requirements.

I'm not an expert...just my thoughts on the matter.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

From what I remember. The absolute minimum Refresh Rate you should use is

72Hz, to avoid flicker. However I would recommend 85Hz as about the best compromise of Speed and comfort.

The one thing that really bugs me with IT staff, who usually set up computers, is that they leave the setting at the default 60Hz. This frequency can affect the user over long periods, causing eye strain and possibly leading to headaches and loss of concentration (could lead to work injury claims etc). Many users think they need glasses, where it is possible that the 60Hz is the cause of some problems.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Thanks for your input, my IT guy just got me a new driver and it was set at 60. It seemed low, but I wanted to know alittle about what I was changing before I did it.

Thanks

CAD ROB

Reply to
Cad Rob

Thanks guys. IT guy installed a new driver and left it at 60hz. I'll try bumping it up.