OT req for info/recommendation

Sorry for the OT nature of this post, but I figured designers would probably have a good line on what I'm looking for.

I'm interested in buying a decent digital caliper, preferrably something in the 8" range (12" if the cost isn't too prohibitive) I'm not a designer - just a hobbyist who's looking to create some parts for a project I'm working on.

I'd like a unit that can do inside and outside measurement and also center to center measurements for establishing hole to hole dimensions.

Ebay has 4 million and 6 units, but the quality seems to be questionable, especially since the prices are a quarter of what I've seen in the local tool stores..

Can anyone recommend a decent (I don't need top of the lines gee-whiz technology here - idiot proof and well made would be good for me) digital caliper or suggest some things to look for in one?

Thanks!!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I have used both Mitutoyo and SPI digital calipers. Both are good quality, reasonable price. I got mine at MSC Industrial supply. Here's a link to a catalog page

ms

I buy from an ebay seller called "vhco". I don't have any affiliation with him, other than buying his product before in the 6" and 8" versions. They are accurate and full featured. You probably want the English/Metric absolute model so you can set zero anywhere on the scale and have it remembered. My units have .0005 accuracy but I think some of them are .001. He's a good seller and these import digital calipers are workhorses. I've used them as gifts, as well as in my shop, and in our office too.

I started getting these when I needed an extra to use in my shop and my personal Mitutoyo was always in some spot other than where I was when I needed it. I figured if the cheapo worked pretty well then I'd be happy, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they worked real well. I went back and bought more and now I have them where I need them and no one else in my office has to borrow my Mitutoyo anymore.

I still keep my Mitutoyo on my desk, but mostly just cause it looks impressive :)

- Eddy

Here's a sample of what's he's got now...

Eddy Hicks

Mitutoya is what you need. The china made calipers sometimes will not work. I bought a china made from Harbor Freight and am now having to send them back after 2 months.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Bovinich (home)

What I "need" is subjective. If I were a professional machinist or designer, yes, I'd go for the "good stuff". I'm just a hobbyist working on a small project and more than likely, the parts I'm working on will be one-offs. I can't really justify $200-300+ for a tool that will, in all likelyhood, end up sitting in a cabinet in a few weeks.

I went ahead and picked up an 8" ABS unit from the guy Eddy Hicks said he uses. Should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I think you'll like. I've bought about 6 units from that guy over the past two or three years without a single issue. My Mitutoyo is higher quality and feels more solid, but they both measure parts the same way, and thankfully, to the same dimension :)

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Just curious what brand and how much? BTW the ones I was talking about cost $129. Yeah that still is a little high for a hobbyist. Good luck...

Dan

Reply to
Dan Bovinich (home)

I looked at Mitutoyo, SPI and Stafford units.. A similar Mitutoyo to what I purchaed would have run me about $150. The SPI was a little cheaper and the Stafford units must've been made of gold (or the local tool shop was enjoying some SERIOUS markup) 'cuz the 8" I looked at was over $300..

I think the $40 I spent is more in tune with my "cheap bastarditis". eheh

Still, the input and suggestions were appreciated.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego