OT: Rutan to be at SWW

Burt Rutan is supposedly to be the keynote speaker at SWW.

Reply to
P.

He's listed as such on the SWW website, so I guess it's more than "supposedly"! I wonder if he still uses Ashlar Vellum, or has he switched to SW?

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
cbliss

This is what I found from :

MCAD Industry News Week in Review " This is very interesting and exciting news on many levels, but we'll confine our enthusiasm to the MCAD side of the equation. Rutan and Scaled Composites have been good Ashlar customers for several years, most of which using Ashlar products running on Mac platforms, but recently moving over to PCs. Virtually all of the concept and design work on the White Knight and SpaceShipOne were done using Vellum Solids 2000 and Cobalt. The only other MCAD product in the mix was SolidWorks, used for designing the complex landing gear assemblies. For manufacture, the Ashlar data was transferred to CATIA CAM for NC machining (with a huge 5-axis milling machine) of the molds used for the fiberglass and composite panels of both craft. We briefly spoke with Robert Bou, Ashlar-Vellum's president who said that Rutan and Space Composites chose Ashlar products primarily because of the speed with which they could explore and refine different ideas. Cobalt is a unique variational hybrid solid and surface modeling package with associativity and a history-tree structure that encourage design exploration and alternatives. Also, Cobalt's on-demand parametrics can make creating variations on an idea relatively painless. The success of this project is big news for Ashlar-Vellum, who for many years has been a favorite tool among industrial designers and others who need to crank out and present design concepts in short order. "

Bill

"cbliss" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Bill Coleman