OT: Smart materials for variable damping

Hey all,

Anyone out there know anything about so called 'smart materials' with regards to a variable damping system. I need a spring that can assess the load upon itself and change it's spring rate accordingly. Loads approx 0 -

100kg

Thanks

Lee

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

You might investigate magnetorheological fluid damping.

WT

"Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@demeter.uk.clara.net...

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

possibly if you go looking for info about active suspension for cars you will find ideas how about using air ...or variable rate springs and dampers as per motorbikes...

Reply to
neilscad

Morning,

The company that makes the rheonetics fluid is Lord Corp. in Cary, NC. Let me know if you need a contact there.

Best Regards, Montie snipped-for-privacy@montie.com

Visit the "NC Product Design Directory" at http://directory.m> possibly if you go looking for info about active suspension for cars

Reply to
Montie

Dampers of several types will alter their "stiifness" dependent on the speed of deformation.

Some of those things are used for non-active damping of motion, and some of those principals are used in bullet proof structures.

"shear stiffening" as a search term in Google will get 164 hits or so.

Bo

Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Top I agree with your statement.

The only spring design that is a literal spring that changes its spring rate that I know of is a non-cylindrical (conical or spherical segment) shaped spring.

Bo

T> I guess I am confused. Spring rate and damping are two different

Reply to
Bo

Hmmm, I forgot. Tapered leaf springs change their rate, too, ala the old rear leaf springs in 56 Chevy's.

Bo

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Bo