OT: Software other than Windows becoming a target.

I wonder how CAD programs rate in terms of hackability?

"We are seeing a trend to exploit not only the Windows, but other vendor programs that are installed on potentially large number of systems," says Rohit Dhamankar, a research manager in 3Com's TippingPoint security appliance division. "These include backup software, management software, licensing software etc. Flaws in these programs put critical resources at risk as well as having a potential to compromise the entire enterprise."

Reply to
P.

A 'BlackHat' either inside SolidWorks or outside could probably tell you what would happen if he could and would crunch the site licensing daemon.

Reply to
Bonobo

"A security issue has been identified that could allow a local user to gain inappropriate access to another local user's computer. This problem occurs in a number of Autodesk products.

You can help protect your computer by installing this update."

lackluster

Don't need it. I am 100% protected.

My SolidWorks computer NEVER goes on the Internet or network. EOS.

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

Do you use usb sticks, floppies or external drives? Even cdr's or dvd disks can get a security threat, virus or trojan into your "not connected pc"

Reply to
pete

All connections to the outside world are done through my Macintoshes. To date in 20 year, nothing has gotten through my Macs.

What files get transferred to my PC usually go in through either BlueTooth or Ethernet.

I essentially only transfer in SolidWorks and similar mainstream application updaters for the very few things I use on my PC like Quickeys, Inspiration, WinZip, and MSOffice.

All mainstream MSOffice, Adobe work, Graphics, etc. is handled exclusively on the Mac.

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

You are a smart man, Bo. I do the same thing (with a second PC) but I never worry about viruses and the like...

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

It must be said that I don't get involved with the known 'problem' web sites and file sharing and p_rn and similar areas known to be loaded with surepticious code lurking around most downloads, and I don't download ANY PC freeware, shareware stuff. If I went looking for trouble, I'm sure I could find it.

If there is a shareware program I use, it is a highly rated one on the Mac, and I must say, I have never had a problem with those few programs I use (and pay for, to support those great individual programmers).

Using both PCs and Macs have given me an appreciation of both tools, and using each for what it is best at saves me a LOT of time.

My personal view is that I have the best of all worlds with a Mac & a PC. Mac OSX is as close to flawless and as easy to use with just the built-in Help (without a manual or 3rd party book) as anything I've ever seen. A PC with only SolidWorks on it just humms along without problems of consequence.

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo