OT:steel storage systems

Short version of my question: I'm wondering if any of you have experience with Steel Storage Systems racks. We're in the middle of an ongoing MCT project (lean) and are looking to improve our material handling and inventory turns. Anyone used these systems? Happy with it? Suggested alternative?

Longer version - same question: Our owner says he'd like to build a racking system in house similar to our Mitsubishi and Finn-Power steel sheet towers which feed the laser/punch equipment, based on programmed nests.

This system he'd like to build won't be automated, but it will manually feed the shear and stand-alone turret, store our inventory of sheet stock, and possibly store inprocess parts. At this time any sheet stock not in either of the two towers sits in stacks on the floor, and is moved to the shear etc with an overhead crane.

This is a good idea, in theory.

We've told him that the design of a powered system is beyond our ability to design and build, both from a time and skill level. This is also the second go around on this; 5 years ago I went thru the same scenario with him; now we have a recent hire with his masters in mech eng, and this discussion has come back. This kid, smart, well educated, hard working, and inexperienced, has also said no way - he doesn't have the background in controls to design it either.

Any suggestions, humorous, caustic, or otherwise helpful are appreciated.

Musician-at-his-day-job, Diego

Reply to
Diego