OT: SW2006 on PCLinuxOS and VirtualBox

You're right about HT... I just did a test with HT off and both SW2007 (317-322 sec) and SW2006 (~ 30 sec slower?) are slower! So it looks like Parasolid and SW did more to enhance HT in these releases cuz, last I did this HT off was faster.

The hand-off or wait time to the desktop has definitely changed in SW2007! I would assume this doe have to do with a few things, tessellation, parasolid, some of the new display options and realview support?

..

Reply to
zxys

News Flash!!!! This is interesting....

After turning "off" HT, and rebooting too turn HT back on,.. it got me thinking,.. when was the last time I did this? It must have over a year ago and between that time I have uninstalled all of SW and move my XP to another faster/larger HDrive... and reinstalled SW2006 and SW2007 so,.. while rebooting,.. I decided I'd redo the above test (3 ctrl-q's each)....

GUESS WHAT!?

SW2007 new score is 282-287! That's ~ 10 sec avg faster than before!? (yes, this is the original file) and, SW2006 (my recreated file) new score is 3-6 seconds faster!?

So, what is different???

Does the OS re-recognize HT (us a new DLL?) and reconfigure/optimize for it? And/Or does SW reconfigure/optimize for it using a new DLL?

Anybody want to test this??

..

Reply to
zxys

The last blurb I read said that some things can take advantage, while others can't could it be that the large pattern in Anna's part happens to be one of the things that is faster with HT on? The blurb recommended leaving it off, as things are supposed to be slower overall. Probably the SPECapc benchmarks are slower with it on.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

zxys wrote in news:1188963952.181995.318050 @o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Slick. Why is that page all in Spanish? Is Virtual Box developed by a team of Argentinians?

I got around to trying Sabayon Linux, and it is definitely on the bleeding edge of Linux. There were a few instabilities in the window manager. I'd liek to try something a little more mainstream and polished next, maybe Ubuntu. The other thing I need to do is make some room on the hard disk. Can the installers reliably write to and resize NTFS partitions these days?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale,

Yep, very kewl, and no doubt, seamless makes the experience less foreign. I didn't notice what language the video was in,... I believe VirtualBox is developed in Germany.

Sabayon (btw, I think it's developed in Spain?) has some neat stuff packaged in it. Bleeding edge or Mainstream.... basically, it's just the latest stuff packaged very well, and honestly, (I guess I've been really lucky cuz) I did not have any problems with it.

Mainstream,.. do you mean,... safe.., popular (because everyone else is doing it?) or like Windo$e/AutoDe$k (cuz that is what everyone else has?)? It's generally all GNU/GPL Linux wrapped up in different ways so, and although Unbuntu is a good distro, I personally found the versions it distributes... just ok in comparison to some others.. such as, if you have a old laptop you want to bring to the coffee shop,.. a smaller distro like DSL (Damn Small Linux) or other slimmed down version will kick ass!

BTW, for you reading and thinking about installing,.. what makes PCLinuxOS, Unbuntu and the other more popular distro's stand out (imho) are the package managers and rpms,..

It's a matter of choice and as you see in the video or in other videos, almost all the user interfaces (gnome, kde, xfce,..) look different or are in different languages... For reference, they all have common links...
Which ever distro you feel more comfortable with or works best with your system, it's all good fun...the way it should be!

.. 8^)

Reply to
zxys

Oh, the writing NTFS... well some of the distro's provide disk partitioning and resizing. I personally used GParted or was it QtParted?.. for this and it moved and resized my NTFS partitions with no problem..

..

Reply to
zxys

Good to know the NTFS tools work. Now I just need to make sure I have enough room on the HD for the install. Then I'd like to figure out how to mount a folder from the NTFS partition in my /home directory for files I want to be easily accessible in either OS. I wonder if there is a version of WINE that can handle BF2142... I'd better not try it. I don't have the HD space for parallel install of that, just to try it out.

The reason I was thinking about a more "mainstream" distro was that Sabayon seemed to be packaging recent (beta or late development) versions of everything, and not necessarily the stable releases. I may have read something wrong there... The funny thing about the instability I saw was that logging out and back in cleared the problem. It was stable after that.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes, it works very good and another example of using a easy to use linux Live boot CD (also great is are the recovery live boot cd's)

Curious, Battlefield under wine, why? I'm not a BF player but why not use it on linux? It seems to be available?

Oh, I see what you're say'n, beta or early release stuff, which may or may not be stable, well... that's part of trying things out and see'n if it's worth it or not.

No doubt, every linux distro and/or system has little quirks but it's usually minor from what I've experienced.

..

Reply to
zxys

You should be able too,.. or I can,.. not sure why you can not? Do a search on NTFS mounting support and see what your need to change or install, if at all? Or are you referring to permissions?

..

Reply to
zxys

Here, this may help..

You should be able too,.. or I can,.. not sure why you can not?

Reply to
zxys

Only the game server will run under Linux. The game client is Windows only.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

zxys wrote in news:1189091767.657743.156800 @o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Oh, nothing about permissions as far as I can tell. Only mounting the NTFS folder inside the /home directory. I know Linux is much more flexible about this that Windows, I only meant that I would have to look into how to do it. It would drive me nuts to have to burrow into the NTFS volume every time I want a file.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

zxys wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

They say it was only 12 years in development....

Reply to
Dale Dunn