OT: update on New Orleans

I was just reading an article about the recent rampant crime in New Orleans - they are talking about imposing a curfew. Not trying to be paranoid but it seems like a lousy place to have a convention....

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Zander wrote: ...lousy place to have a convention....

Not only is it a lousy place, it is a retarded place. We could go on and on about how it is silly for us to put money back into a town that will disappear (AGAIN!) with the next hurricane. New Orleans needs to be forgotten.

James P.

Reply to
Metro

"Metro" a écrit dans le message de news:

See the Netherlands: Approximately a third of the entire country lies below sea level at high tide. Another 25% is below 1 m. Lowest point is 22ft below, with 2 of the largest rivers of Europe coming into. It is just a matter of skill, and of will.

Reply to
Jean Marc

and money.

Jerry Steiger

"Jerry Steiger" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

That was included in the will: choice between bombs and dykes.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Do they have hurricanes in The Netherlands?

Reply to
ngpost1

I use to live in the burbs of New Orleans. The way politics are there, that will NEVER happen. The city was crap before Katrina, and its even worse now. I still live in Louisiana, but I dread having to go into NOLA. Why did SolidWorks choose NOLA, probably to show support (or possibly they had it booked before Katrina). Sorry if I sound negative, but the only thing I love about NOLA is the food and architecture. What I was wishing for after Katrina was the federal government taking over and cleaning house politically (which would never happen). Its pretty sad that the people re-elected a corrupt politician again during the last congressional election (Jefferson).

As far as the crime, it looks like the Tuesday night event will be held as Mardi Gras World in Algiers. This place is near a pretty bad part of town...

Reply to
SW Monkey

Just yesterday I received a "personal" form letter from SolidWorks with an invitation to register for the conference. I don't remember this happening in years past (especially with the $100 savings) so close to the actual date of SolidWorks World.

Could it be that the number of pe> > > "Metro" a =E9crit dans le message de news:

Reply to
POH

Do they have hurricanes in The Netherlands?

Do not think so, weather will not get as bad there as on the other side of the pond. But New Orleans is not the only place where huricanes occur. Ask to people living in Bangladesh.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Only been to New Orleans for conventions (never SolidWorks) and a LOT of other places for all types of conventions & conferences, and New Orleans @ 10pm after dinner was the only time I was ever on a street (Bourbon Street) going back to the hotel, when our group passed guys who started a knife fight over god knows what.

I would never take my wife there, even though she likes Bourbon street.

Bo

POH wrote:

Reply to
Bo

My point was huricanes and below sea level are a bad combonation. The majority of the Gulf coast and east coast are subject to huricanes but the water has somewhere to go once the rain stops.

Reply to
ngpost1

If it weren't for American bombs, France would be a distant memory, being called instead South Germany.

You can't call it a World War until France surrenders.

Daisy

Reply to
FlowerPot

Reply to
Zander

Personally, I wouldn't let that stop you. If you stay with the pack and don't look like you are injured or sick, the wolves will probably leave you alone. :-) Go, have fun, meet several of us, learn a whole lot, and just watch what's going on around you.

WT

POH wrote:

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

If trouble comes and we have to flee, I don't have to be faster than all of you, I just have to be faster than one you after I've kidney punched you (LOL).

TS

Reply to
T. Struemke

Reply to
Zander

Let me update my list to bring. Let's see, pencils, pens, laptop, shin guards, cup, helmet.....

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

greave is the word!

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Zander

chain mail, entourage of smaller/less physically fit humans-pawns... :)

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

"ngpost1" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@k58g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

My point was huricanes and below sea level are a bad combonation. The majority of the Gulf coast and east coast are subject to huricanes but the water has somewhere to go once the rain stops.

That's why I was talking of large rivers. The Meuse and the Rhine are very large rivers, and the water was in the old times pumped by windmills. (the ones you see in postcards) Now of course they have a bunch of electric pumps, and it is kind of strange driving on dykes with on one side the sea, and fresh water being 5 meters below on the other side.

Reply to
Jean Marc