OT: update on New Orleans

You're right, you're crazy. I don't have any crime figures for New Orleans at hand, but I'll bet your odds of dying in a car accident next year in small town Canada far outweigh the odds of being the victim of a criminal attack in New Orleans during the few days you are there. If you're still worried, then book a room in the nearest hotel, skip the offsite event, and spend all of your time in the hotel and the conference center. It will still be time well spent.

Jerry Steiger

I hear you, but you can't really rationalize decisions by comparing odds or what-if's of unrelated activities.

I guess what I meant to say was that a mid-winter convention should be somewhere warm and fun - and NO does not sound like a very fun place right now. I don't actually think that anything would happen to me. But I would rather have gone somewhere else!

Zander

Jerry Steiger wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Actually, I have heard that New Orleans has had a murder for everyday this year...

Reply to
james

Sure we can, we can rationalize nearly anything. We're engineers!

I enjoyed New Orleans in 2000. I don't suppose it was a whole lot less dangerous then and probably not a whole lot more fun. The best parts of the city are on the high ground and suffered the least.

I would rather go to New Orleans than Las Vegas, but I'm obviously not "normal".

Jerry Steiger

There are at least 200,000 people in New Orleans now, according to

If they have one murder a day, the odds on getting killed on any given day are 1 in 200,000. If you stay four days for SWW, you've got 1 chance in 50,000 of getting killed. That doesn't sound too terrifying, and I doubt that the odds are actually that high. (Perhaps there aren't really that many murders, perhaps they are talking about the metropolitan area with 930,000 people, perhaps visitors have less chance of getting killed than residents...)

Jerry Steiger

Jerry, the latest piece in the LA Times said it is so bad on Bourbon Street that the "Exotic Dancers" are having to turn tricks to pay the now exhorbitant rents in what is left in New Orleans.

Mid-Week the juke joint entertainment clubs are mostly empty & even the regular drunks are drinking less.

I did not make this up.

Bo

Jerry Steiger wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I don't put a lot of faith in the LA Times. And I thought exotic dancers were pretty notorious for turning tricks even without the benefit of a hurricane.

If the place is so horrible, why are rents exhorbitant? Why are people willing to pay high rents to live, work and play in a hell hole? Basic economics suggests something is very wrong with this picture.

Uncrowded with less obnoxious drunks around. Sounds pretty good to me.

I wouldn't expect that you did. But the writer for the Times may have made it up or embellished it a bit. I don't trust journalists nearly as much as I trust engineers.

Jerry Steiger

I'm with you, Jerry. Let chicken little sit at home. It's you and me alone with the strippers!

Reply to
matt

I hate to say it, after all this defense of New Orleans, but I'm not going. It wouldn't matter where they held it, I just can't justify it to my boss two years in a row. Next year in Jerusalem!

Jerry Steiger

LOL. Yep, Bourbon Street has the urine smell again. I went to a concert at the HOB a couple of weeks ago, same ol Bourbon Street. I hope everyone has a good time next week, despite a bad choice of venue for SWW.

Reply to
SW Monkey

Are you going? I was hoping to me the Monkey! :)

Muggs

SW M>>

Muggs

A couple of months ago we were driving through the Black Forest in Germany on our way to Switzerland. We stopped for the night in one of the larger towns, which was still very quaint and colorful to our American eyes. I was walking down a narrow little street in the beautiful late afternoon sunlight when a guy in front of me stopped, unzipped, and proceeded to relieve himself on the wall.

Jerry Steiger

Ever been to Brussels?

Reply to
TOP

WOW!! Brussels.

Now you have brought back some memories. I lived there from 1980

1982. What a great city for food, ale and women, just what a 28 year old male needs in life.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Anonymous