OT: Using an unused processor on the network.

Is it possible to specify a processor over the network to use to do a task say rendering or animating while continuing to work. I saw on the Mental Ray site that something like that is possible, but I don't quite understand it. If it is possible what would be needed to set it up? Thank you.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

FrankW

Now if I could just harnes our ITs processor he will realize that we need to upgrade. =^)

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Corey,

You could do this with UNIX. We used to run Catia V4 this way.

Don't know about windows, but I doubt it.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

It's called "distributed processing" or "grid computing" and isn't quite ready yet for SolidWorks. Just think of all the ACAD machines with wasted processor cycles in the engineering dept - suck them up and they will never notice the difference.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Doing exactly such is supposed to be possible, at least with NT. It was a requirement at some large firms to move from UNIX to NT and run CFD problems & such on the network ... It may depend quite a bit on your specific software and networking.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich