OT - Video card prevents startup

I came in the other morning and my hard drive wouldn't even spin up, as long as I had my video card installed. Fortunately, we have a workstation not in use right now. I swapped cards between the machines and mine started up fine and the other station no longer would. Swapped the cards back and my machien no longer started. So, clearly, it's something in the video card. Anybody have any ideas? Is it dead and gone? I'm just wondering if I need to source a replacement for when that extra workstation becomes occupied, or is there a potentially simple fix.

Thanks, Calvin

Video Card: Quadro4 900 XGL, AGP Dell Precision 340 WS WinXP Pro, SP2

1024 GB RAM SCSI HD
Reply to
anonymouse.13

I had a similar experience one time with a modem. My guess is that something happens that draws too much current or something, and the system recognizes that and refuses to power up the power supply as a protective measure. I would say that it's time for a new card.

WT

Reply to
WT

That can happen, though usually the motherboard beeps or something when there is no video card installed. If the machine can't POST at all, then it sounds like the video card has managed to develop something electrical in nature. It may be possible to fix it, but specialized tools and skills may be necessary even to determine. A replacement for that card that would actually be an upgrade wouldn't cost much these days.

Reply to
Dale Dunn