OT: Video card problem

Hello All,

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm having a serious problem on my home PC. The other day I started to notice when running SW, whenever I would zoom in tight on an object, my computer would freeze up, and do nothing, Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing, so I had to reboot.

After some other problems started to creep up I decided to reformat, and while saveing all my stuff off my hard drive, I noticed other video related issues. So I reformatted, no problem, untill I went to install my Oxygen VX-1 drivers, I could not install the drivers. I kept getting the message, at the end of the process, that the drivers were NOT installed.

So... Question #1 - Is my Oxygen VX-1 toast? Question #2 - What should I puchase in its place?

Intel PIII 1Ghtz Win2K Pro SP3 SW 2001Plus SP6

BTW, up until now, I've never had any problem installing the VX-1 card.

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Have you cleaned out your TEMP folder lately?

Reply to
Scott

Hello Scott,

I reformatted, so yea, I think my TEMP folder is empty.

Thanks, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

You have the latest Drivers?

If so you might try reinstalling them again and have your AV turned off.

I hope you installed SW with your AV off as well.

You might try this hack: Alternative to try before reinstalling!

If you have exhausted all other possibilities of your problem try doing this, before reinstalling.

IMPORTANT You have to be comfortable to change data in the registry, because you can hose your entire computer if you change the wrong item.

1) Close SW 2) Click Start\Run and type Regedit 3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks 4) RMB the Solidworks directory and click rename. 5) Rename it with your Initials or something. 6) Restart SW, you will have to accept the license agreement and reset your toolbars and tools options. Before you do that, see if that fixes any problems you are encountering. 7) If so, Close SW, then go back to your Registry and delete the Solidworks directory you renamed. (if you push f5 (refresh) you will see a new Solidworks directory appear). 8) If not and you want to keep your old settings. Then Close SW, (push f5) delete the newly created Solidworks directory, and rename the other directory (that has your initials in it) back to Solidworks.

If this doesn't work, your last alternative maybe to Reinstall SW.

Reply to
Scott

Got a cooling fan on the video cpu? is it spinning? is it clean? How hot is your computer inside? got lots of circulating air in there? If need be add a dc fan to blow on the card.

elliott

Reply to
elliott