OT: watercooled cpu

just curious, anyone using water cooling for their pc's?

reliable and/or noisy is it? is water cooling on it's way to becoming the standard method of cpu cooling?

Reply to
kenneth b

Does it gurgle while doing FEA? Maybe the water could be connected to a radiator on a coffee warmer.

Seriously, I've heard one can overclock these CPU's with good success.

Reply to
Keith Streich

Now, that's is a useful idea!!

At the pace of temp increases, an espresso machine could also be in works!?

EspressoWorks! Just hit ctrl-q! 8^)

..

Keith Streich wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

BWAH HAH HAHhahhah hahaha ha ha heeeee. That's rich. :-D

Reply to
Sporkman

Hey now, there's a potential product there!? 8^)

..

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

This reminds me of the famous Bill Mauldin cartoon from World War II, where Willy is telling Joe to run the jeep up the hill again, the water in the radiator isn't hot enough to make coffee yet.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

While results are good with water cooling, it will void a warranty as fast as you can overclock your GPU. For that matter, so does OCing. HOWEVER, I am woring on a project with a well known CPU mfr. on a 'liquid' cooler that will not void warranties in many cases.

THe positive is cooler running, longer lasting hardware. As long as the cooler replaces fans, it will be a great deal quieter. I run dual xeons and the CPU fans alone sound like a harrier when they ramp up during peek CPU load. I'm considering that option for this reason alone.

The negative, aside from the obvious damage a leak would cause, is that they lose fluid and need to be monitored for fluid level.

Of course, you could go that extra step:

Dave

Keith Streich

Friend of mine at Varsity had a seriously overclocked pentium.... We sealed the standard heatsink at the top and then made a flow manifold for each end. We rigged up an old circulation pump using a goldfish bowl as a reservoir and dribbling it through air to cool the water down....... we found that after a few hours serious gaming the water was HOT.... the same as what you'd get out of your hot tap.... so we ripped the radiator out of an old ford escort and placed it outside underneath the floor of the building and used that as the reservoir...... after that it ran at a nice constant temperature.... unfortunately it sprung a leak one night and shagged itself, but it ws fun while it lasted!

:)

George.

Reply to
George Maddever