OT: Worm gear manufacturer

Anyone remember the name of the company that had various diameter worm gear stock that used industry standard bolts as the worm? I seem to remember the second half of their name was 'Dynamics' as in "Motion Dynamics" or something like that. They used to have ads in 'Machine Design' and 'Design News'a few years ago. Maybe they're no longer around?

Reply to
rmontminy

I would try Thomas Register or similar places.

I'll bet any competant gear maker could grind up any gear form for matching a standard v-thread.

Bo

Bo

Dynamic Automation, Inc. I've kept the catalog more than 20 years waiting for a project where I can use their custom gears with a machine screw worm. An application finally came up last week! Here's their Web page:

And in case you're interested in plastic gears (worms, bevels, miters, etc) have a look at Winzeler:
Art W

Reply to
Art Woodbury

As one who has done a lot of mechanical design projects, I do have to say that the inherent fault in a machine screw thread for turning a mating gear is that the side forces and friction are obviously higher for such a thing as opposed to what may be broadly called an ACME thread or similar form.

Light duty ought to work fine, though.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

The catalog shows most applications as rotary positioning and adjusting. I'd never use these things for anything resembling "real" power transmission. But, knowing the product line of the OP's employer, I suspect the application is an optical positioning one.

Art

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Not to plug my place or anything (heh..), but if anyone needs any gears/gearboxes/differentials/etc. done, they can contact us!!

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
SMacIntyre

Actually, they're in the middle of re-doing the web site, so for our capabilities, the following link would be better - Sorry!

Scott

Reply to
SMacIntyre

Hey, I tried going there and was blocked by Sonic Wall. When I asked for the reason it's blocked, it came back as weapons. If not correct, you might want to contact them as you are being blocked.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hmm, Wouldn't that be your setting based on content filtering? I'm not familiar with Sonic Wall that much, but isn't that a firewall running on your company's server? If so, it would be your admin's ability to filter or not. If not, where can I go to for a contact? We are not a weapons manufacturer, although we are an aerospace company and our diffs and GearHeads are used in aircraft, satellites and such. In fact, a set of six of our gear reducer boxes were used to lower the ramps on the Mars Lander that allowed the Rovers to roll off. In fact, the joke was that "they only had to work once, but they better freakin' work or your going up on the service call to fix them!" But anyway, to classify us as an Weapons supplier would be unfair...

Scott

Reply to
SMacIntyre

Yes & no. The fact that this company chooses to use the SonicWall filtering is, of course, their choice. But the fact that your company is being filtered for being a weapons site is totally unfair to you if, in fact, it's incorrect, because we don't have any control over the rating applied to a site. You could lose business because of a wrong tag being hung around your neck.

My thought is that you would want to contact SonicWall and ask why you are being blocked - what prompted the rating. I found a phone number (888)

557-6642 that might get you to the right person. Let me know how it goes.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

No problem from here. Nice stuff.

Gary

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Gary Knutson

Thanks!

Actually, one of the reasons I was interested in employment here was to see how our sister company across the street made the pin shown on the penny... (scroll down to the bottom of the page...)

Cool stuff - Coming from a place that made low tech 16-50lb forgings & castings, - to a high tech motion controls company has been a big change and a lot of fun!

Anyway - back to work and to find out why Sonic Wall has us blocked...

Scott

Reply to
SMacIntyre