OT: x-cad

well amazing, I am looking at my browser as no. 99985 registration comes up and people are joining at about 1 per second....and there you go 100000. A successful promotion...didn't join my self...but I wonder how this is going to pan out when people see there are limitations to Alibre Design Express. I see in their forum there are already quite a few upset people that they will need to pay $50 to get rid of the Google ads for example.

Reply to
neil

but I wonder how this is going to pan out ------

One welcome ramification if my guess is right - a couple of mid range porkers are going to get very active now that someone else is making a serious bid for the low hanging fruit.

Reply to
droll

It would be good for everybody to have the industry tree get a good shake. It's not just Alibre though. Turbocad as another example is not too far below the midrange. It won't be long before people will be looking hard at the sticker price of SW, Inventor and Solidedge and asking why they pay that much for only a bit more and especially when it as buggy as 3rd rate software. Although SW identify themselves as providing serious tools for professionals there is no denying that just saying that is not going to be enough in the future. They actually have to deliver on the quality and the content. Stagnation won't do. Marketing bulldust won't do. I have tried out quite a few programs to do with CG and SW is nothing special - in fact playing with the other stuff you begin to realise how stodgy and limited it is. There is no reason to assume that engineering software is something special for special people... neil

Reply to
neil

Neil,

What do you think the major drawbacks are with Alibre?

Regards,

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Deacon

I am sorry Dennis I don't know enough about the product to comment vs. SW. Perhaps someone reading here has experience with it or you could try their forum for opinions. It seems to me though there will be a number of products increasingly capable of doing things the that in the past a company would have needed to purchase SW, Solidedge or Inventor for. If they do a good job of it I don't think people need be brand shy...Hyundai make quite good vehicles for less...most probably you are stepping back in time with functionality but maybe you are only doing prismatic stuff in small assy anyway so it doesn't matter.... neil

Reply to
neil