OT: XP SP2 rollback woes

Guess this could be Off Topic (OT) or not.

We uninstalled XP Pro SP2 this morning. A user had automatic updates on and inadvertently installed this (dys-)Service Pack. That seemed to screw up SW updates to SP4.2. So we rolled back from the Service Pack install using Software Install/Uninstall. All went well till the restart portion of the uninstall at which time we got a BSOD:

STOP 0x00000074 BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

This scared the ... out of me since I had never seen this before. MSoft has KB326679 on the subject which didn't make sense. This article says the STOP is because of memory problems. More digging around found other people saying this BSOD is caused by file permissions being set incorrectly on system folders.

Folder permissions didn't make sense and neither did bad memory after uninstalling an SP.

I turned out that this system had the 3GB switch turned on in boot.ini. 3GB was the default. We tried startup without 3GB and XP would now boot. So apparently regressing back from SP2 disables the ability to use the 3GB switch. And the MSoft KB article is partly right, it is memory related, but opening your computer and swapping memory sticks is not the way to fix it.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

PS. And we still can't repair, update or remove SW which we thought was caused by the SP2 update in XP.

Didn't the 3GB switch require a hotfix to work on XP sp1? Could the update to sp2 have uninstalled the hotfix, and the rollback failed to re-install it?

As for SW, can you do a repair on the installation?

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Remember that XP SP1 had to have a patch applied to be able to use the 3gb switch. I'm presuming that the rollback didn't reinstall that.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne,

Well that is the catch. Not all SP1 systems needed that patch. This machine didn't before SP1 --> SP2 --> SP1. So maybe the rollback wasn't as innocuous as one would think. I'll give it a try though.

We have the MicroSoft stuff to turn off auto install now.

Not necessarily. This system didn't before SP2, but maybe does now.

Can't do a repair, remove or new install because SW can't find the msi file. Now before you say just stick in the CD, remember we have the CD and even browse to the required msi file on the CD. Still won't recognize it because it isn't the right one. The problem is that the CD is SP0 and msi thinks it is at SP2.1, but SW Help say it is 4.1. Talk about user friendly.