Re: Production Machining Vs. Prototype Machining

Oh, you are getting fired?
medical.

Actually I am amazed you are still employed. With your attitude, do you possess some pictures of your boss? As to unemployable, I still get head hunters coming to me. I have to much to do in retirement to have time to work at a 40 hour job. Went to Slidell, LA after Katrina and worked for a week with HAB. Tow my boat, that I can afford, to Canada for a few weeks. Stuff like that. As well as visiting the grandbaby. Life is good, except for the knee that is going to get scoped next week. I, unlike you, have a happy life.

Then why are you wasting your time in my threads Mr. Happy?
My threads are meant for those who aren't happy and want change. So is my blog.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

My job now is to bring joy and happyness to he universe. Maybe they could put a diving board on the Coronado Bridge for you. That would most likely bring happiness to your coworkers.

You sound like a really happy person to me... NOT!

Once again, you prove that your knowledge of the machine shop business is as non existent as your knowledge about machining and CADCAM. Is there ANYTHING out there that you actually *do* know how to do? (Other than constantly humiliate yourself on the internet and in real life).

Once again you prove how much I own you and how I totally control you.

See above.

Yes, precisely! You're really showing everybody who "owns" who, by changing one of your many identities to exactly match mine! Normal, balanced people do that stuff ALL the time!

Once again, you prove that your knowledge of the machine shop business is as non existent as your knowledge about machining and CADCAM. Is there ANYTHING out there that you actually *do* know how to do? (Other than constantly humiliate yourself on the internet and in real life).
*** Don't look now, but there's some homo humping your leg.

You need to look at the other end of the spectrum. We have more than one machine that is getting close to the million dollar range. A bridge mill with 20 ft. of travel does not come cheap. Neither is the parts that go on it. This machine is not used as a production machine....The most parts it has done in a run is 36. Due to the capacity of it....there is virtually no competition locally. Another example is our horizontal boring mill 140" x 90" of travel (I remember the days when I thought a 20" X 40" machine was pretty good sized....) also a high $$$ machine that has tons of capacity. You simply can't machine parts that weigh 12,000 lbs on a $50,000 machine. We also have a 17 pallet MAM72-63V. Originally it was purchased for production....and it was used for that for the first 2 years of service. Various contracts ran out....That was when we discovered the true flexibility of the system. Right now we are in a mighty production run of 12 parts....6 lefts & 6 rights. Approx 5 hour run time each. Get the first ones proved out....then run all night. While its running...program & set up our next run of 8 parts. We do shut it down on the weekends tho....
Mainly for tax incentives, we got a H plus 630 this spring...150 tools fully optioned. Guess what....production runs of maybe 12 parts.....typically 2 or 3 tho. Mainly due to its capacity...that machine is more than paying for itself also.
The 5 axis waterjet is also a spendy machine.....yet it more than pays for itself also doing small runs. Plenty of work for that machine too.
We also have a bunch of smaller 40 taper machines....Matsuura's of various vintages....from a 760 to a V-plus 800. An odd Mori or 2 completes the lineup of the smaller stuff. An occasional production run is the exception rather than the rule. All of these machines paid for themselves long ago. Could the work that goes on these machines be done on a Haas? Of course....but I doubt the Haas would last long with the demands we put on them.
All of these machines (minus the waterjet & the H plus) have paid themselves off long ago. No payments on any of these....of course you have the maintenance overhead...however with a tight PM schedule this is minimal. Capacity (as in size or turnaround or experience, ect) & the right customers is what makes the $$$. Granted there have been times when one machine was not paying for itself...however with the variety of machines and experience we have the cost is more than offset.
Most places that I have seen go under did so because they were leveraged to the max....buying 10 machines at once while depending on 1 or 2 customers. The other places I see struggling are guys with 3 machines...(low end like Haas or Fatal or Hurco) that are not reliable. 1 of their machines goes down for a couple of days....all of the sudden customers are pissed because they can't deliver. No $$$ coming into the shop....no $$$ to fix their machine. I have heard of more than one shop that when a machine goes down....they let it stay down.

[ The beautiful thing about working with this 1/2 million dollar horizontal machine with 12 pallets is that I spend very little time running parts and spend the majority of my time on programming, setting up and optimizing the program. ] - Jon Banquer - 12 May 2007
[ Jon, You have a machine designed for high production. You are glad that your machine spends little time running parts while you are programming, setting up and fixing programming errors (AKA: optimizing the program) at the control...........LOL........... only in Banquerland could someone be happy about that. ]- brewertr-
[[ Some of our <MasterCAM> posts do need some work. Fixing them is not our shops / the owners / my highest priority right now. ]- Jon Banquer - July 1, 2007
That quick and easy post processor fix would seem to be the highest priority vs. manually editing at the control, running your edits through NC-Plot where you are now unnecessarily duplicating your efforts since your MasterCAM tool library will not import into NC-Plot all this WHILE your $500,000.00 machine SITS IDLE.
Oh! and don't forget your edits at the control, what happens to associativity with the model? (Hint: Out the window)
By the way Jon, how long did you last at that Job?
Tom ]-brewertr-

The fact that you even think that could happen, just further proves how completely and utterly inexperienced you are. (Which goes a long way towards explaining the type of employer that would even consider hiring you).
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:54:19 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Most companies, real companies require suppliers to be qualified to do the work. Qualifying usually has to do with proving they are a business and posses the equipment, tools and expertise to perform the tasks up to company standards. Which quite often precludes contracting with a home hobby shop filled with a clapped-out equipment.
It's one thing if you are making your own product or prototype but quite another to qualifying to do work for others. With few exceptions a home hobby shop will be competing with other home shops cutting each others throats to split a penny. Home shops are not Low Cost, Low Overhead locations, they are LOW PAY Shops, get it as cheap as they can Locations.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

It's pretty easy to define. If you had ever been anywhere near a management or ownership position of *anything* other than a hatchback, you'd know that Tom left out about 50 more reasons why a serious buyer would never do business with Jon Banquer's backyard Fadal graveyard.

No response, huh? You're not going to tell us how impressed the Rockwell Collins auditors would be with your lapped edge finders, 30 year old uncalibrated inspection junk, and two worn out Fadals in the shed? Just more Banquer babble.

......says the guy who spent the weekend changing one of his many aliases to "Joe788" so he could pretend to be me.

.... Says the real, phony Joe788 who won't post with his real name and who spent the weekend responding to every Jon Banquer posts proving how much Jon Banquer owns him.
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:44:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: <snip>

<snip> Everyone that invested heavily in their equipment, tooling, gauges, training, etc. would like to believe this, but the huge increase in off-shore sourcing proves otherwise for the majority of customers. Price is and remains king.
The problem is that you are then attempting to compete with companies paying 25 to 50 per hour wages for qualified help, and the only offsetting cost reductions are freight and customs. As a garage shop, more than likely, because of volume discounts, your material costs will be higher, and you are likely to run into tax, OSHA and zoning problems that simply do not exist in the low wage countries, or are easily handled with a little "tea money."
On Aug 4, 8:41pm, F. George McDuffee <gmcduf...@mcduffee- associates.us> wrote:> <snip>

Nice to see you actually understand this side of the business. Tom Brewer constantly proves he doesn't. I suspect Tom Brewer has very limited experience in many, many areas of the machining business.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA