Way OT - political signs

One of those random musings on the way into work this morning, so I thought
I would ask my wide range of friends here what they thought.
Question - has anyone ever changed their intended vote as a result of seeing
yard signs or bumper stickers?
My thought is that both of them are a waste of time & money as most people
have already made up their mind, and if not, they probably aren't going to
be swayed just by seeing someone's sign. Those that can be influenced by
the facts aren't going to believe political advertising, and those that
don't care about the facts aren't going to change no matter what they see or
read.
Thoughts?
WT
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
Unfortunately, too large a percentage of people don't research the candidates prior to going to vote. Or, if they do, they are only concerned with one or two offices. I read somewhere that name recognition can account for 20%+ of total votes.
IE a person goes to the poll because they wish to vote for their candidate in the congressional race, but "recognize" the name on the ballot for school board, sherrif, state representative, ect... and also vote for them based solely on the name recognition factor. Hence the forest of yard signs, bumper stickers, ect. I also doubt that many people will actually change their vote based on one of the above. But for the weak minded.......
Reply to
Brian
They can be used to intimidate an opponent's voters into not turning out. In our town the Democrats put up tons of signs even before it is legal to do so for this purpose. If there are 5 democrats on a street with 15 voters there will be 5 signs up even though the street might be Republican. And this area voted Bush and a Republican congressman in the last election.
Wayne Tiffany wrote:
Reply to
TOP
Wayne, thanks for calling this OT - it surely is. I appreciate that, and respond because of that.
To other peoples points, name recognition and repitition might influence votes ... I know when I've seen a candidates name repeated in signs it made me at least look into the person .
My current governor and senator were unknown to me before I saw signs for thier campaigns, when, as a an observer, I thought that candidates with the name 'blagojevich' and 'barack obama' were simply doomed based on their names. How wrong I was (and what a credit to the open mindedness of folks from Illinois. Hooray for Ilinois!)
... and in the case of Obama, we in Illinois might have elected what we all really hope for - the real deal that we all (republican, democrat, etc) really want. In the years since the election, this guy continues to impress me. How he got past having a name similar to' public enemy number one', I do not know _I think the voters are smarter than common wisdom (and I, when it comes down to it) give them credit for
Back to the topic of signs... one value of signs is that you can see who your neighbor is for. If you are impressed by your neighbor, you will at least look into their choice (as shown on their lawn). This is good
The second benefit of signs is that it gives you a sense of what a neighborhood is about.
I lived in Wheaton, Illinois, at the time of the last presidential election in the US.
For perspective, it was maybe 2004 that Wheaton College finally removed the restriction on dancing from their undergrads. That is Wheaton, Illnois.
There were a lot ( a lot!) of Bush signs in Wheaton, and very (very) few Kerry signs. When Keyes decided to run for the senate after the republican nominee Ryan's campaign for the senate blew up in a haze of sex clubs, etc, there were Keyes signs in yards a few days later though Keyes is likeley ceritifiably insane (my interpretation - I do not have a degree in psychology -and to be fair, he seems prettty smart and could go somewhere with his life if he could just get past that insanity thing).
Someone rolling through Wheaton, Ilinois might get a sense of the community mood by those signs in the yards.
If you pass through Wheaton and LIKE Wheaton and all it stand for , then darn it, you might just be influenced by seeing Bush and Keyes signs in yards and say 'those are the guys that I ought to look into'. And that is a valid way to look at your vote - "I like the people who like these candidates, so I just might vote for them."
That is the value of signs, as I see it.
And now that I've worked it out, I feel guilty about not posting my own signs.
Ed
Reply to
ed1701
You can also be creative and make your own. When a local politician pushed the wheel tax through, I painted a sign on the side of an old tractor tire (5ft diameter) and put it out front. It said, "Cindy Tax This!"
Reply to
TOP
Me too. Sounds like a relic from before the bronze age. Ooog has wheel. Me do not. Ooog must pay for being ostentatious.
Reply to
ed1701
Now Ed E. should know what a wheel tax is although by another name. It is a local tax paid at the time you renew your registration and purportedly earmarked for road repairs and construction. In Chicagoland it is known as a City Sticker. The City Sticker in Chicago is, I believe, still collected separately from license registration with the state. In this state it is collected along with the fees for the plate by the BMV and returned eventually to the locality from which it was collected.
Reply to
TOP
Thanks for the explanation of the wheel tax. I was, frankly, hoping for something more primeival. There are many towns in my area that have city stickers for cars (PITA), and I have lived in some of them. However, I never got to the point of making a gaint wheel, putting it in my yard, and declaring 'tax-this. I admire that.
I have the good fortune of being delightfully unencumberd by city-rules. Last year I moved to a tiny, tiny, tiny, unincorporated town surrounded by the 2nd and 4th largest cities in Illinois - to get a sense of the size of where Ilive, I am 0.8% of the entire population. People who drive by it every day or even live in the area don't know it exists.
The 'mayor' of Eola is officially designated as the person with the most beer in their garage (true fact) I will never be mayor because I keep my beer in my fridge.
But I am the only one with a trebuchet, so I guess I am Eola's miltary. And if Aurora tries to incorporate us, I am prepared to kick their ass.
-Ed 'fighting for freedom since 2005' Eaton
Reply to
ed1701
There is a place like that over near Glenview as well.
.8 percent, hmmm. 125 people. Pretty substantial town by Western standards, or an apartment complex or one floor of Cabrini Green by Chicago standards.
Reply to
TOP

Site Timeline