Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

CW-80 Schematic
Has anyone seen a schematic for Lionel's CW-80 transformer??? The fan in mine is starting to make noise... Thanks much! Chet
8
8

Walthers Folded Paper Diaphragms?
These seem to be out of production, or at least I can no longer find 'em in the Walthers catalog. Anybody got a source for these or a similar product? Old hobby shop stock or whatever? The darn things...
14
14

N Scale Track & Power Supplies
I'm strictly an O gauge person, but I happened to receive an N scale set (engine and cars only) as a gift. It was still thoughtful so I'm not about to return it. Plus it's just so damned cute. The...
5
5

Repowering a Mantua 2-6-0 or 4-6-0
I'm feeling that my motive power roster is too heavily weighted on the larger locomotive side, so I'd like to add some smaller engines. I've been looking at a Mantua 2-6-0 or 4-6-0. They also have the...
2
2

Random Traffic Generator
Some years back I saw a PC program to randomly generate traffic based on user input of industry, car type and loads. Does anyone know of suck a program? TIA
25
25

lichen preserved with antifreeze
I am making layout scenery with local lichen, dye, and a solution of water/glycerin. Glycerin isn't cheap and I was wondering if anyone had tried substituting it with antifreeze ( which contains a...
7
7

Lionel automatic Draw Bridge # 48043
Looking for a web site/book/somebody that has the wiring diagram. Thank, Mark
7
7

Help ID weird 1:87 diesel drive
Folks: While going through a bunch of train show-purchased diesel parts, I found some parts to a very weird unit. It's conventional in concept; a central motor driving swiveling trucks with integral...

Can Motors for Mantua Locomotives
Hi, I still have some old Mantua locomotive kits to make (or kitbash!) and I wonder about the motors to be used. Mantua used to sell can motors to replace the 5 pole motors supplied with the kits, but...
13
13

Reynauld's Euro-Imports, Inc.
I ordered and paid for some Lilliput items from these folks in Illinois six weeks ago (20 Jan) via their web site. Other than an automated email acknowledging the order, I've heard nothing. I sent...

Lionel Area 51 Alien Recovery Set #6-31926
Has anyone had any experience with this set? I know it's just a cheap O27 starter set. But is it at least the minimal Lionel quality (e.g. die-cast loco, half-way decent engine, and such?) I want, and...
8
8

Merkle Dairy cars from Athearn / Roundhouse
Does anyone on this group happen to know anything about the Merkle Dairy? I have learned that there was at least one such car as an acquaintence from Athearn told me that they worked from a photograph...
4
4

Did Union Pacific EMD E7's Haul Freight Also?
Did the UP E-7 diesel engines haul freight or were they used for passenger service only? Thanks Jim
3
3

Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic Assembly Instructions
Hi Sorry for my bad english I search for Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic Assembly Instructions A Scan as jpg or a Link to a Webside And i search for Hints and Tips to install a DCC-decoder in this loco
5
5

Anybody tried DCC and went back to DC?
I was reading the "DCC - why not?" thread and to took Jon Miller's bait. He has a valid point. Is there anybody out there who ran their model trains using DC, then converted to DCC and went back to DC...
198
198

BH Models Grain Elevator
I recently purchased the kit # 159-407 but there are no instructions. Does anyone have a set of instructions that I caould get a copy of? Scans will work also. I will pay postage if needed! Thanks,...
2
2

Disappointment in an Iain Rice track plan
Hi, I just purchased the book "small, smart and practical track plans", and was thinking of trying to start building the "Hollow Run Railroad" 4x8 this weekend. Last night, I sat down to sketch it out...
5
5

Proto 2000 PA-1 problems
Hello: I bought a Proto 2000 PA-1 in Ebay last week, the problem is a terrible squeak when the locomotive is running with origen in the secondone truck, I use oil but the noise continued and sometimes...
1
1

Largest indoor train
What is hailed as one of the largest indoor train sets in the world consumes an entire room of a Tampa family's home. Mark Rosenthal's southern railroad systems hailed as one of the most impressive...
10
10

Cork roadbed - shaping shoulders question
Question x posted to and I am making an HO American outline model. Having read up on various ways of making roadbed I am now experimenting with cork. I have purchased some cork tiles from B&Q (Home...
29
29