Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fleischmann turntable 9152c
Hi all, Has any one had the pleasure of installing the 9152c turntable from Fleischmann. It is the N gauge one and comes with all wiring and operation switch. Will this item be useable on DCC? A very...
7
7

Help - adding tender pickups to Athearn Genesis 2-8-2
Hi, I have an Athearn Genesis 2-8-2 that I'm going to be replacing the cheapo-bargain sound decoder with one of the new Tsunamis. While I'm doing that, I'd like to add some way to pick up electrical...
8
8

Sound system recommendations
To control the train. It's just a power pack with a sound generator that you can connect to a speaker (or two IIRC). My wife thinks I need sound on my home layout [not DCC], so I checked out the Model...
6
6

Old Kato N-scale GP9's - what to do?
I have three Kato GP9's that I bought around 1990 at Kato's main store in Tokyo (you should see their layout!). 1 in CN green, 2 in Pennsy black. I didn't notice at the time, but apparently they are...
9
9

"Boy's Life" Layout
I got into a discussion with a gentleman today who mentioned building a 4'x8' HO layout years ago, based on a series of articles published in "Boy's Life" magazine. I remember seeing the articles in...
6
6

Bachmann Doodlebug
Has anyone seen an HO-scale, Bachmann Doodlebug operate? Could you please rate its performance, its detailing, and its paint/lettering. I have never seen one. Out of curiosity, what time period did...
14
14

F7 specifications and/or blueprints
Hi Anyone have a link or source where I can get plans/demensions for an EMD F7 engine. Thanks. Try the RR-FallenFlags site: They have a manual for the 567 Diesel engine used in the F-7 locomotive at:...
3
3

Athearn vs Lionel
I have been away from model RR'ing for several months due to more pressing needs. Can anyone share an opinion or a first hand experience regarding the HO scale,Lionel "Challenger" and/or the Athearn...

N scale turntable recommendations
I need to build an engineyard and plan on installing a turntable. Are the Atlas and Walthers turntables acceptable? Any other recommendations? This is a N scale layout. Doug Try the CMR turntable,...
14
14

Replacement belts for Athearn Hi F units
I have two Athearn Hi F unit drives that I would like to bring back to life. Rather than go with the old rubber band replacement belts and have them detoriorate as they usually do, does anyone know if...
5
5

Does anyone have the new Atlas N-scale Shay?
Have any of you tried out the new 2-truck Shay yet? It's only a matter of time before I break down and buy one. (Come on, tax return!) It's a sweet-looking model. How does it run? Wayne Yes, I have...
3
3

? about turntable stalls
I am going to buy the new large Walthers turntable once released. I am not going to free lance my layout when I do decide to build. I have a large number of big steam engines and wanted to hear from...
41
41

How to drill locos for Kadee couplers?
I have two Athern Locos I want to add Kadee couplers to. I know I need a 2-32 screw, and a #50 hole. How to get the hole drilled? Which Dremel drill should I get? Or should I use a normal drill, but...
10
10

Prototype for Details West 50' Combination Door Boxcar
Anyone know of one? I've got one painted as Cotton Belt 20370. The ORER for my year (1970) says that Cotton Belt didn't have anything by that number. A search of the Model Train Magazine index only...
1
1

Prodigy Advance
Has anyone substituted a coil cord for the flat cable that is used to connect the handheld to the base station? Are the connectors the standard telephone type? The cord for the PA is an 8 2000 used a...
24
24

disassembly of Atlas N scale locos
I have an Atlas N scale road diesel about a year old. It ran great for many months. It has become erratic lately, and since it runs in a dusty environment, I strongly suspect dust and lint in the...
3
3

Proto 2000 S3 and decoder?
I have two P2k S3's and want to convert them to DCC, the instructions state replace the current board with a decoder and replace the headlights. But it never mentions what decoder will fit. Any idea...
2
2

The mouse in Hornby Catalogues?
Hi all Many years ago I sold my entire model railway to buy (of all bloody things) a motorcycle......a short-lived thing, which I also nearly became. Shameful thing in hindsight, but youth does funny...
12
12

Old Mantua Couplers
Hi, This should separate the boys from the men. The old men, I mean. Does anybody remember the very old Mantua couplers? They consisted of flat, oval shaped metal loops, about 1/32 thick. Can someone...
18
18

Mantua/Tyco Parts
Hello all... Does anyone know where I can find vintage Mantua/Tyco parts? I inherited some of my father's engines and rolling stock from the 50's and am trying to restore them, but i need to get...
4
4