Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mantua/Tyco Parts
Hello all... Does anyone know where I can find vintage Mantua/Tyco parts? I inherited some of my father's engines and rolling stock from the 50's and am trying to restore them, but i need to get...
4
4

Minimum radius for 2-8-8-2
OK - I've put my Big Boy up for sale on eBay, but I may hold onto my Proto 2000 2-8-8-2. Would it look fairly protoypical on a 30" radius curve, or is there still going to be too much overhang?
43
43

Demagnatizing Tweezers
My tweezers are magnatized. How do I demagnatize them. Thanks
12
12

Lionel Case Knife Set #1
Anyone interested in the Case Knife Lionel Train Set? I spoke to someone last week that has set #1. The set includes a custom made oak display cabinet and several additional knives besides the ones...

Proto 2000 SD45 - help!
OK - I'm about ready to throw this thing against the wall! I've had every visible screw out, and the darn shell still won't budge! What's the magical incantation I'm supposed to use to get this sucker...
9
9

Delta Ceramcoat paint
I've used Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint for painting styrene and hydrocal. It is cheap and seems to work fairly well. I have used their Mudstone color which looks like older concrete color to me. But...
17
17

DullCote substitute
Every so often, I have inquiree about a substitute for DullCote. It works well, but the small cans will eat your wallet alive if you need a lot of it. Well, a week ago, I was at the local Hobby Lobby...
6
6

The Incredible Shrinking Model Railroader Magazine ?!
Recently there was bunch of talk about the price and contents of the MR Mag. I have an interssting observation. I didn't even set out to discover this. It happened by accident. Couple of days ago I...
41
41

BLI & Lifelike
-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now Emails to Earthlink will be ignored. The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community...
6
6

Mantua Mallet
Does anyone know anything about a HO Mantua Mallet? The item in question is painted for the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company Good quality? Bad? Indifferent? Many thanks, Jeff Law
5
5

John Olsen's Jerome and Southwestern of the 1980's
Is anyone familiar with John Olsen's Jerome and Southwestern layout of the 1980's? That was THE layout that turned me on to model railroading when I was a kid. I have a book published by Kambalch that...
4
4

Mantua loco - needs new motor?
Hi, I have a Mantua 2-8-2 that is about 12 years old, but has probably fewer than 3 hours on it since its spent most of its life in storage. It has never really run too well, and at this point I...
5
5

Paducah & Louisville's New GP38-2's
I Model a Freelanced railroad and would like to add Models of PAL #3600, #3807, #3809, #3812, and #8507 any subjestions on what to do to Athearn Models? They will be lease units on long term lease to...

[HO] Denting a gondola
I'm working on a gondola project -- the prototype was built ca. 1910, rebuilt in the mid 1920s, and then upgraded with new ends and brakes about 1940. My layout is based on the mid 1960s, so the car...
2
2

PRR Calendars & The Weekend Chief Publishing Company
Did the Weekend Chief Publishing Company out of business? I always used to get a PRR Calendar there (in addition to getting the Cedco PRR calendar every year). Couldn't find 'em (Weekend Chief) in a...
4
4

Bridge Questions
I some questions related to a largish deck bridge I'm building for my Santa Fe prototype layout. This will be in HO and include three towers with 30' tower spans, two 50' intermediate span and a 90'...
6
6

Wiring Tortoise Switches to DCS via AIU
Is there a clear cut definition of how to do this? I'm guessing that I will not be able to use one of the "switch" connection banks to do this. I will probably have to use a simple two contact...
10
10

Join Z FUN on Z_Scale!
Hello everyone, Z_Scale on has reached the 975 member mark and I'd like to see it hit the magic 1000 before all my hair falls out or the eyesight fails! If you're into really small trains why not join...
3
3

Re: AristoCraft track screw
I believe that this is what you're looking for: http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/G-Track/ARI-0590.
1
1

Re: NCE BD20 block occupancy detector
Maybe nobody is using these? Is there a better BOD to use (looking for ones that use an inductor, not diode voltage drop method) Thanks, Scott
13
13