Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Athearn Genesis 1.5v micro-bulbs under DCC
Close - you've divided 12 volts by .015 amps whereas you should be dividing (12 - 1.5v) by .015 amps = 700 ohms.
12
12

value of 60's vintage Lionel train set?
I have a neighbor who lost his house to a fire recently. He asked for help in valuing the Lionel train set that was part of the loss. Based on his memory this was: 1960's vintage 4-5 pieces of rolling...
5
5

How much output is 7VA?
I have a MRC transformer model 1300. It is marked 7VA output. Is this just another way to say .77 amp if it is 110 volt?
13
13

MTH Proto-Sound 1 & Lionel ZW
That would be the new Lionel ZW with two 180 watt power supplies. I can't get an MTH 20-2125-1 C&O F3 AA set to function reliably with this transformer. I tried the Lionel CW-80 transformer also and...
12
12

Lionel Locomotive 2037 Repair, headlight assembly
I'm replacing the headlight assembly (washer & eyelet 61-22) on a Lionel 20 37 locomotive. What is the power source for the headlight? I've got the NOS washer and eyelet with 4 inch cloth wire lead...
2
2

Ther is a repower of sorts for the MDC Boxcab / Climax...
Although i think this guy is highly over priced! http://www.lafeverclimax.com
4
4

Help removing trucks lionel
Can anyone recommend a method for removing the trucks from a postwar Lionel log car? I need to remove the trucks to resolder a wire. They are held on with a C shaped spring steel washer. I don't seen...
3
3

HOn3 Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidation Kit
I recently purchased the Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidation kit along with the Northwest Shore Line regear kit and gear puller. I plan to start contruction spring 2004. Are there anything problems or...
5
5

Converting Athearn Rubber-band drives
Greetings, I have an Athearn RDC-1 which has the old-style rubber-band drive. I bought a plain bag of rubber bands, and found some which work, although there are some tensioning issues. I am...
12
12

Better Drive for a old MDC (Roundhouse) BoxCab
Hello Sorry for me bad English. I am looking for a better drive for the old MDC BOXCAB diesel. Does one have an idea there? Web pages? Could the drive match and work of a Bachmann diesel (GE 44)?
15
15

LGB 1015U and 5180: Help please, am I being thick?
Hi I am trying to wire up a simple insulation in a siding using a 1015U and 5180 On/off Control Box (something I thought would be a peice of cake!), but seem to be having some problems. I should point...
3
3

Any clever tricks for straightening flex track?
I'm in the process of laying a lot of track using Micro Engineering flex track (Illinois Central's Markham Yard (!)). As you know, this flex track has a fair amount of "memory". That is, when bent to...
7
7

Substitute smoke fluid
Seems to me I remember a suggestion for a common substitute for Lionel smoke fluid for locomotives. Anyone remember what that might be? (I half think it may have been castor oil...) Thanks, Chet
1
1

Sunray Scenics
18007-105 ave Edmonton, AB T5S 2E1

Malcom Furlow's Carbondale Central of the late 1980's.
Has anyone ever seen or made a copy of Malcom Furlow's Carbondale Central. It was in 2 or 3 issues of Model Railroader in 1988. The detail was superb. It was not a big layout but it was very real...
1
1

'Variac' power transformer?
I have a 120-V AC (input) variable output transformer, commonly known as a 'Variac', which I use for various electronic applications. I've been thinking of using it to power model trains. This would...
46
46

British Columbia Railway livery colours?
Hello, I decided to freelance a European locomotive in the BCR two-colour green livery of the seventies, so I would like to ask for paint advice. Is there some ready-made mix suitable for the three...
8
8

Bachmann EZ Track Question
Have a couple of simple questions regarding Bachmann EZ Track. Although I have a lot of older (1970s vintage HO rolling stock), I am switching to N scale because I can get more railroad in the space I...
10
10

[HO] Accurail prototypes
Here's a list of Accurail models and their corresponding prototypes (if any) that I am aware of. Can you help fill in the blanks? #2000 ACF 3-Bay Hopper Burlington Northern cars built in 1982. (4600...
1
1

LIONEL 1026 Transformer power cord replacement
Happy New Year to everyone! I have a very old Lionel 1026 transformer. The power cord needs to be replaced but I don't see how to take it apart to replace it. Can any one tell me how to open up the...
2
2