Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Doodlebug (Walther / Spectrum)
Hi Which is the difference between the Bachmann Spectrum and the Walthers EMC Gas Electric Doodlebugs? Which is better? Year First built? Websides of information google not many found Sorry for me bad...
32
32

Re: Athearn Genesis 1.5v micro-bulbs under DCC
Close - you've divided 12 volts by .015 amps whereas you should be dividing (12 - 1.5v) by .015 amps = 700 ohms.
12
12

value of 60's vintage Lionel train set?
I have a neighbor who lost his house to a fire recently. He asked for help in valuing the Lionel train set that was part of the loss. Based on his memory this was: 1960's vintage 4-5 pieces of rolling...
5
5

How much output is 7VA?
I have a MRC transformer model 1300. It is marked 7VA output. Is this just another way to say .77 amp if it is 110 volt?
13
13

Lionel Locomotive 2037 Repair, headlight assembly
I'm replacing the headlight assembly (washer & eyelet 61-22) on a Lionel 20 37 locomotive. What is the power source for the headlight? I've got the NOS washer and eyelet with 4 inch cloth wire lead...
2
2

Ther is a repower of sorts for the MDC Boxcab / Climax...
Although i think this guy is highly over priced! http://www.lafeverclimax.com
4
4

HOn3 Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidation Kit
I recently purchased the Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidation kit along with the Northwest Shore Line regear kit and gear puller. I plan to start contruction spring 2004. Are there anything problems or...
5
5

Converting Athearn Rubber-band drives
Greetings, I have an Athearn RDC-1 which has the old-style rubber-band drive. I bought a plain bag of rubber bands, and found some which work, although there are some tensioning issues. I am...
12
12

Better Drive for a old MDC (Roundhouse) BoxCab
Hello Sorry for me bad English. I am looking for a better drive for the old MDC BOXCAB diesel. Does one have an idea there? Web pages? Could the drive match and work of a Bachmann diesel (GE 44)?
15
15

LGB 1015U and 5180: Help please, am I being thick?
Hi I am trying to wire up a simple insulation in a siding using a 1015U and 5180 On/off Control Box (something I thought would be a peice of cake!), but seem to be having some problems. I should point...
3
3

Any clever tricks for straightening flex track?
I'm in the process of laying a lot of track using Micro Engineering flex track (Illinois Central's Markham Yard (!)). As you know, this flex track has a fair amount of "memory". That is, when bent to...
7
7

Substitute smoke fluid
Seems to me I remember a suggestion for a common substitute for Lionel smoke fluid for locomotives. Anyone remember what that might be? (I half think it may have been castor oil...) Thanks, Chet
1
1

Sunray Scenics
18007-105 ave Edmonton, AB T5S 2E1

Malcom Furlow's Carbondale Central of the late 1980's.
Has anyone ever seen or made a copy of Malcom Furlow's Carbondale Central. It was in 2 or 3 issues of Model Railroader in 1988. The detail was superb. It was not a big layout but it was very real...
1
1

'Variac' power transformer?
I have a 120-V AC (input) variable output transformer, commonly known as a 'Variac', which I use for various electronic applications. I've been thinking of using it to power model trains. This would...
46
46

British Columbia Railway livery colours?
Hello, I decided to freelance a European locomotive in the BCR two-colour green livery of the seventies, so I would like to ask for paint advice. Is there some ready-made mix suitable for the three...
8
8

Bachmann EZ Track Question
Have a couple of simple questions regarding Bachmann EZ Track. Although I have a lot of older (1970s vintage HO rolling stock), I am switching to N scale because I can get more railroad in the space I...
10
10

[HO] Accurail prototypes
Here's a list of Accurail models and their corresponding prototypes (if any) that I am aware of. Can you help fill in the blanks? #2000 ACF 3-Bay Hopper Burlington Northern cars built in 1982. (4600...
1
1

Help with Lima train voltage, may i use it with a power supply for USA?
Hello, I am a newbie and i was given recently a Lima N scale TGV train set and I was told it was made in Europe. I need some help: can I run this train with my current power supply made for USA, or...
22
22

MTH Proto-Sound 1 & Lionel ZW
That would be the new Lionel ZW with two 180 watt power supplies. I can't get an MTH 20-2125-1 C&O F3 AA set to function reliably with this transformer. I tried the Lionel CW-80 transformer also and...
12
12