Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

value of 60's vintage Lionel train set?
I have a neighbor who lost his house to a fire recently. He asked for help in valuing the Lionel train set that was part of the loss. Based on his memory this was: 1960's vintage 4-5 pieces of rolling...
5
5

How much output is 7VA?
I have a MRC transformer model 1300. It is marked 7VA output. Is this just another way to say .77 amp if it is 110 volt? No. Its output is 7 watts maximum. However this does not equate to 7/110 amps...
13
13

Lionel Locomotive 2037 Repair, headlight assembly
I'm replacing the headlight assembly (washer & eyelet 61-22) on a Lionel 20 37 locomotive. What is the power source for the headlight? I've got the NOS washer and eyelet with 4 inch cloth wire lead...
2
2

Ther is a repower of sorts for the MDC Boxcab / Climax...
Although i think this guy is highly over priced! Seems to be beating a dead horse! The MDC Climax is a real orphan, with a body made so it would fit onto the MDC boxcab diesel, giving it an...
4
4

Help removing trucks lionel
Can anyone recommend a method for removing the trucks from a postwar Lionel log car? I need to remove the trucks to resolder a wire. They are held on with a C shaped spring steel washer. I don't seen...
3
3

HOn3 Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidation Kit
I recently purchased the Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidation kit along with the Northwest Shore Line regear kit and gear puller. I plan to start contruction spring 2004. Are there anything problems or...
5
5

Converting Athearn Rubber-band drives
Greetings, I have an Athearn RDC-1 which has the old-style rubber-band drive. I bought a plain bag of rubber bands, and found some which work, although there are some tensioning issues. I am...
12
12

Better Drive for a old MDC (Roundhouse) BoxCab
Hello Sorry for me bad English. I am looking for a better drive for the old MDC BOXCAB diesel. Does one have an idea there? Web pages? Could the drive match and work of a Bachmann diesel (GE 44)?...
15
15

LGB 1015U and 5180: Help please, am I being thick?
Hi I am trying to wire up a simple insulation in a siding using a 1015U and 5180 On/off Control Box (something I thought would be a peice of cake!), but seem to be having some problems. I should point...
3
3

Any clever tricks for straightening flex track?
I'm in the process of laying a lot of track using Micro Engineering flex track (Illinois Central's Markham Yard (!)). As you know, this flex track has a fair amount of "memory". That is, when bent to...
7
7

Substitute smoke fluid
Seems to me I remember a suggestion for a common substitute for Lionel smoke fluid for locomotives. Anyone remember what that might be? (I half think it may have been castor oil...) Thanks, Chet Dunno...
1
1

Sunray Scenics
18007-105 ave Edmonton, AB T5S 2E1

Malcom Furlow's Carbondale Central of the late 1980's.
Has anyone ever seen or made a copy of Malcom Furlow's Carbondale Central. It was in 2 or 3 issues of Model Railroader in 1988. The detail was superb. It was not a big layout but it was very real...
1
1

British Columbia Railway livery colours?
Hello, I decided to freelance a European locomotive in the BCR two-colour green livery of the seventies, so I would like to ask for paint advice. Is there some ready-made mix suitable for the three...
8
8

Sculptamold vs. Celluclay
Hi I went to my local art supply store, but they didn't have Sculptamold. They did have Celluclay in 5 lb bags, though. Nearly bought it, but for $20 I held off. Can anyone familiar with the relative...
4
4

Hard shell scenery - paper towels and plaster
Need some advice... I'm starting my scenery and am using Woodland Scenics plaster cloth to form the basic shapes. I have a cardboard strip mesh underneath to support the cloth. I want to try using...
8
8

LIONEL 1026 Transformer power cord replacement
Happy New Year to everyone! I have a very old Lionel 1026 transformer. The power cord needs to be replaced but I don't see how to take it apart to replace it. Can any one tell me how to open up the...
2
2

MTH Proto-Sound 1 & Lionel ZW
That would be the new Lionel ZW with two 180 watt power supplies. I can't get an MTH 20-2125-1 C&O F3 AA set to function reliably with this transformer. I tried the Lionel CW-80 transformer also and...
12
12

Engine will only run backwards
Hi, I'm trying to bring my old Lionel train set (O gauge) back to working order. The problem is that the engine (yellow Rio Grande 221 made in the early 60's) only runs backwards. When I toggle the...
6
6

Help with Lima train voltage, may i use it with a power supply for USA?
Hello, I am a newbie and i was given recently a Lima N scale TGV train set and I was told it was made in Europe. I need some help: can I run this train with my current power supply made for USA, or...
22
22